Talk

Advanced search

Interview Panic

(6 Posts)
Rossco Mon 13-Jul-09 15:28:51

I've got an interview this Friday for the job of a ward clerk in our local hospital and I'm terrified!

I haven't worked for years but now all the DC's are going to be in school and I've finished my degree I feel the time has come to go back to work.

I've been told by friends who work there that I have done well to reach the interview stage, they usually shortlist candidates to only 5 or 6 people.

Anyone have any hints on what to expect or tips on how make an impression?

sunburntats Mon 13-Jul-09 15:33:52

hmm, yes, you need to convince them that you are not just applying to get a foot in the door because any one with a degree usually has no intention of remaining a ward clerk for very long. They need to know that you are commited.

You need to show tham that your communication skills are top notch and that you are capable of dealing with shirty members of the public and visitors. But also people who are upset, sad, bereaved and who need some one to be kind and informative to them.

Know a bit about the area that you are applying to work, have some good questions ready.
Confidentiality wil be a HUGE thing, make sure that you throw in about this.
erm..will have another think about this...

sunburntats Mon 13-Jul-09 15:57:08

You will be every nurses bestest pal in the whole world and they will adore the very air that you breath because you will be answering the phone that rings almost continuously from 7am till 10pm and beyond which means that they can do their nursing work and leave the phone to you.

Do you know which area you will be working in?

It really is a very varied and rewarding job, You will pretty much be the lynch pin of the whole ward.

Good luck and all the best to you, it is a great first job back choice. smile

Rossco Mon 13-Jul-09 16:09:36

Thank you smile

Its a job on our 19 bed acute ward. I applied because I know I would really enjoy working in a hospital and its the kind of job I would like to do.

I'll think of some examples of dealing with difficult people and how I coped. I have a rough idea of who will be on the interview panel but if anything that is making me more nervous!

sunburntats Mon 13-Jul-09 16:12:56

Its easy fro me to say "oh dont be nervous" but you are going to be inevitably arent you!

Just go and think in your mind that you are going for a chat about something that you are really interested in.

passionfruity Mon 13-Jul-09 17:13:25

I've done some (successful!) interviews recently and have the following tips:

- practice saying your answers out loud (either alone or with a friend) because sometimes you know it in your head but it doesn't sound as good out loud.

- think about what your weaknesses are and how you can reassure the interviewers that the weaknesses will not be a problem.

- based on the job description, think about what strengths / experience / weaknesses the other candidates are likely to have and about why you are better than them.

- Pretend to be confident even if you don't feel it inside.

Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now