Talk

Advanced search

continue aiming for "career" job or take more interesting but v poorly paid admin role??

(15 Posts)
NewPenName Thu 09-Jul-09 21:06:10

at crossroads, dc goes to school soon and have choice (assuming I actually get offered anything) of whether to resume fairly senionr mgmt career or go for much lower stress but interesting arts/uni admin type role. Don't absolutely need to work financially as dh earns a good salary but our mortgage is huge so would help, also am losing patience with v demandning dcs so feel all would benefit,esp me , if i escaped on a p/t basis. any words of wisdom? The problem is i still don't really know what i want to do, probably project management based but no role/sector really sets my heart on fire..but nor does full-time motherhood !

pinkteddy Thu 09-Jul-09 21:12:14

It depends whether you think you would be content doing something which you are over qualified for. There's no doubt that juggling kids/school holidays with a demanding job is difficult.

Things to weigh up are - what is your back up - does DH have a demanding job as well? Who could you call on if dcs ill or they had an appointment somewhere or if your childcare arrangements let you down etc. Personally I have gone for less demanding job as something had to give at home. But I do miss my old job sometimes and feel my skills are under utilised.

nowwearefour Thu 09-Jul-09 21:16:24

any chance you coud do your old role p/t? i feel exactly like you and chose demanding ish role on a 2 day a week basis. i bear the kids better (though still do feel a little guilty). earning rubbish money seems pointless to me if you could earn more. just feels weird to do something you are over qualified for....

NewPenName Thu 09-Jul-09 21:38:39

you're right, think i''m a bit too proud to do that too! blush otoh as pt says there's much to be said for one person in a couple hsving a less demanding role, dh's job is vv full-on. I am only looking at p/t as it is but still in quandry.

pasturesnew Thu 09-Jul-09 21:44:53

Well you could always try artsy admin role if you wanted and then change your mind and go back to your senior role if it wasn't interesting enough.

NewPenName Thu 09-Jul-09 21:54:51

i guess but fear in current climate and in my late 30s no option to jump ship and back again, don't you reckon?

purpleduck Thu 09-Jul-09 21:55:01

Do you want to re-train?
Make a list of the things you DON'T want to do (ie, admin/retail etc)
Then make a list of the things/tasks you LIKE to do

When do you really feel like you have accomplished something?

When you imagine yourself in a happy time, what are you doing?

NewPenName Thu 09-Jul-09 21:58:09

happy time? drinking wine with friends, travelling without kids to far-flung places, running on a beautiful summer's day in the countryside. think that makes me workshy maybe?! Seriously, i appreciate the ideas, just not sure whether they work for me. Honestly don't think there's room for all of us to be in "job of your dreams" type role, for most it's something to pay the mortgage and anything more is a bonus. Maybe i'm just jaded after nearly 2 decades at work and read too many "what colour is yuor parachute" type books.

purpleduck Thu 09-Jul-09 22:24:09

ok, just trying to help...

NewPenName Thu 09-Jul-09 22:48:09

Sorry, I know you were, not being arsey with you just same thoughts have occured to me then dismissed them as being unrealistic, ifywim?
Anyway, how about you? Have you managed this process to get yourself a satisfying career? Did it work for you? Happy to be inspired, just feeling rather cynical being "out there" atm, going to interviews (not gettting an offer), playning the game, doing more applications etc etc. Tough climate right now.

Greatfun Fri 10-Jul-09 16:07:21

I am in the same situation and for now have decided to go for the PT more demanding job that I have 10 years experience in. I have 2 pre schoolers and want some time away from them (although they are lovely I am struggling with 24/7 child care). This job pays enough for 2 sets of childcare and leaves me an OK amount, enough at least to make it worthwhile. I don't see the pont in earning less than I can at this time. We coudl afford to live on DHs salary but it wouldn't leave much for emergencies or luxuries and I want a bit more than that. I have worked in the same job PT before and found that whilst I missed out on the career side of things due to being PT (not nice but true) it does at least keep my hand in. In many ways I think its the best of both worlds.

NewPenName Fri 10-Jul-09 17:13:59

thanks, gf, sounds like you've got it sorted. Just not sure whether i have the energy left for a full-on job, am I lazy?!
I may well be more driven in a more demanding job though. tricky balance, isn't it?

purpleduck Sun 12-Jul-09 22:18:56

Sorry -no internet for a few days (how did I survive!!)

I do have my ideal job - part time (well, 25 hours atm), and term time. I am very lucky.
I do believe that sometimes finding your ideal job/ career is a process
Good Luck

nooka Sun 12-Jul-09 22:40:29

I would avoid project based work if your dh is not able to be flexible, as the nature of projects is that when things need to be done everyone is expected to drop tools and go for it. I find that being more senior gives more flexibility as in general it's about getting the job done rather than putting the hours in, also you are in more of a position of trust, and you are felt to be more essential, so I think it is easier to negotiate flexibility.

Personally I think you have to decide what inspires, challenges and interests you, because if work is essentially voluntary it has to be more worthwhile to be worth the hassle. And there will be hassle (that bit I think is guaranteed!

I'd go for the career type if you can, because one of the benefits of having two decent earners in a household is that if your dh should hit problems and be made redundant (for example) you have something to fall back on, which is good for reducing stress I think.

I enjoy working full time at a demanding role which appreciates my skills. But I do have dh as a very happy SAHP right now, which makes life much easier for me.

karenleigh Tue 14-Jul-09 11:53:59

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now