Talk

Advanced search

need help, been sat stuck for ages!

(8 Posts)
cheeryface Wed 08-Jul-09 10:04:12

i am trying to write a letter to apply for a job as a receptionist.
trouble is for the last 13 years i have been a sahm (even whilst kids are school age) with a few cash in hand cleaning jobs on the side.
before that i was a hairdressers assistant and an office juinior, had my son at 19, so doesnt sound at all enticing.
how the hell do i word this letter? is anyone ever going to take me back into the workforce?
please help, i would REALLY appreciate it smile

bakerslovecakes Wed 08-Jul-09 10:10:57

hi, i've just spent the last hour job searching and have found nothing i can apply for (or have the confidence to apply for). I'm the same, ive been a sahm for 13 years before that i was only an office junior so i havent really got much to write on my CV. I think the job centre website has tips on how to write CV's so maybe theres a section on writing letters. Good luck smile

cheeryface Wed 08-Jul-09 10:17:59

thanx, its nice to know someone else is the same as me!
tbh im sure there are people much more able to do this job i want to apply for as i have lost much confidence and i dont really have any computer or telephone experience. im trying to think beyond it though and DO SOMETHING!
ive spent ages looking at job ads and poo pooing them because i dont think i have the abilities so im just trying to take a leap now else i fear im stuck foreverf lol
good luck with your search smile
how aold are your kids btw? (hope u dont mind me asking)

bakerslovecakes Wed 08-Jul-09 10:26:13

my dd is 13 yo. Do you know what you are going to do about childcare? If i was to get a job i have no idea what i would do about this, my dd has never gone to any holiday playcentres and she wouldnt now. I'm only looking for part-time so i guess i would have to leave her at home, lots of parents have to leave their kids at home during the hols, dont they?

cheeryface Wed 08-Jul-09 10:39:50

im not sure either, i have a 13 year old and a 10 year old. my 13 year old stays at school until 4:30pm most days so he would be ok for after school, i guess id have to find an afterschool club for my 10 year old.
as for school holidays, my mum could do a day or two but id still need to find other arrangemets aswell.
my friend has just gone back to work and she is planning on leaving her 13 year old daughter on her own from 10am - 2pm. i dont know about yu but i think i would feel a bit mean. its so dificult !
i can only assume that people on minimum wage must have family or friends to support and look after the kids??
i live near rochdale and it seems alot of the playschemes etc are already full.
where are you from?

bakerslovecakes Wed 08-Jul-09 10:52:43

I live in London, there are quite a few playschemes but my daughter wouldnt go to them and even though they do cater for her age they're mainly full of younger kids. I was hoping to get a job that finishes by mid-day, in the hols she usually sleeps in til about 11 so she wouldnt be on her own for too long. I think my parents would probably have her, but i know after a week she would probly get bored and want to stay at home by herself.
my dd has told me that quite a few of her friends have to stay at home by themselves while their parents work so i guess its quite a normal thing to do.
Hows the letter writing going? smile

cheeryface Wed 08-Jul-09 11:07:58

ive managed a brief one lol not sure if its best handwritten or printed out

bakerslovecakes Wed 08-Jul-09 11:24:43

I think it depends on the person whos receiving it, some people like handwritten to see what your writings like, others prefer typed, I think if i was applying for a job i would probably type because alot of jobs are applied for online anyway. Things are done so differently now to when i last applied for a job, you can only apply to some "well known" supermarkets now online, so even if you just wanted to start off with shelf stacking, you need computer skill just to apply for that job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: