Talk

Advanced search

just had job offer withdrawn

(13 Posts)
wahwah1270 Tue 07-Jul-09 18:53:29

ok I'm having a bad day......

i was offered a temp-perm role but said i would need 2 weeks so i could settle my baby into nursery. they have withdrawn the offer.

OrangeFish Tue 07-Jul-09 19:13:29

I don't think you have asked for anything unreasonable. 2 weeks is a perfectly reasonable time to prepare for a new job even if you don't have children.

This are crisis' times, they may have withdrawn the offer for reasons not related to you at all

flowerybeanbag Tue 07-Jul-09 19:45:42

I agree with orangefish. If they offered you the job because you are the best person, they are not going to just withdraw the offer completely because you can't start for two weeks. Most people have to serve some kind of notice period anyway.

At the very least I would expect them to say to you that's not convenient, how about a week, or something. But withdrawing it completely to me means there's likely to be something else behind it.

wahwah1270 Wed 08-Jul-09 07:59:49

thanks, it's so disappointing

annh Wed 08-Jul-09 09:17:48

Did they actually indicate to you that the reason for withdrawal was because you could not start immediately?

flowerybeanbag Wed 08-Jul-09 09:21:16

Could you contact them and say that if the two weeks is a problem you could do one week instead, or something?

wahwah1270 Wed 08-Jul-09 11:09:19

yes they said it was because i cant start next wek. the thing is icant start before 20 as my daughter needs to settle in at nursery.

annh Wed 08-Jul-09 11:28:09

Hmmm ... I guess that is a potential problem with temp or temp-perm roles, the requirement does tend to be immediate, whereas with a permanent role they anticipate they will attract people who have to give notice in another role anyway so are more willing to wait for a month, even if the delay is childcare-related in your case.

Are you going to go ahead with putting your dd into nursery anyway? If she doesn't start, do you risk losing the place?

flowerybeanbag Wed 08-Jul-09 11:34:07

Can you really not either have a shorter settling in period or get some very short term help from anyone else. Do you have a DH or DP, or family nearby?

karenleigh Tue 14-Jul-09 12:01:43

Message deleted

phdlife Tue 14-Jul-09 12:06:51

is it just me, or is karenleigh's post a wee bit INAPPROPRIATE??? hmm

MollieO Tue 14-Jul-09 12:13:23

phdlife, I've reported her posts as it seems like unpaid advertising to me.

phdlife Tue 14-Jul-09 12:17:04

goodonya, MollieO - just spotted her on someone else's employment issues thread too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now