Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Re-training as a teacher

(9 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 08:56:24

My Dh is out of work and is considering becoming a secondary school teacher.

He has a degree in Public Relations so not a relevant subject , so far I have been able to find out that he is likely to need to do subject training to make his degree relevant, and then he can apply for on the job training at a school who has vacancies for this?

Can some-one tell me if this is correct? If not how it might work? What does the subject training entail, how long will it take, how much will it likely cost, and the once he has applied and got a training job (if he does that route) how long would that take?

What other routes are there?

Also, he did his GCSEs about 15 years ago, how would he be able to prove his grades as he has no certificates from this time?

Madmentalbint Sat 04-Jul-09 09:04:37

Not sure about the first bit of your post but I know you can get replacement copies of exam certificates from the exam boards. Your DH could also try contacting his old school to see if they hold any records.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 09:05:36

Madmentalbint - think he will need to contact school as he does not know what exam boards were involved.

Thanks for responding smile

flatcapandpearls Sat 04-Jul-09 09:08:06

The exam boards also charge a fortune, I have come certificates missing but have my degree certificates and A level ones so schools were fine with that.

Madmentalbint Sat 04-Jul-09 09:17:40

I agree about it being expensive. I paid £25 for one certificate! The uni insisted that I provided them with it so I had no choice. This was for undergrad though so I would have thought your DH would be fine with degree and A-level certs. as FCAPearls has said. Good luck

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 09:22:39

flatcat - he has his degree cert, he did an access course rather than a'levels, nothing to show that but that would be easier to get hold of as was more recent than his gcses, I am sure.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 09:23:12

flatcap even grin

hercules1 Sat 04-Jul-09 09:24:05

I am a teacher. I had to show GCSE certs in maths and english for my pgce, when starting as an nqt and again after 8 years of teaching had to do it as there was some sort of initiative going on.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 09:26:33

OK, so if we can manage to get hold of who holds copies, he will likely only need to produce evidence of english and maths, for £50 rather than ALL his certs which would be hundreds shock, that would be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: