Talk

Advanced search

How easy is it to get a part time job?

(8 Posts)
fruitstick Mon 29-Jun-09 08:39:33

I'm on maternity leave with DS2 at the moment and already worried about going back to work next year.

After DS1 I went back 3 days a week in a well paid. We have now moved out of London and therefore I can't go back to my old job as the commute would be too difficult.

To add complications, I can't do my job outside of London so am going to have to change industries/career (I had a fluffy media job).

Upshot is I am going to want a part time job in an industry I have absolutely no experience in.

I'm not going to get one am I sad

AMumInScotland Mon 29-Jun-09 10:07:09

Getting a part-time job isn't that hard, getting an interesting one that pays well is a different prospect! You may well have to start in a lower type of position than you've been used to, then try to move to something more interesting once you've proved yourself. A lot of jobs which are advertised as part-time are going to be admin, but if you can get your toe through the door in that sort of job, you may well find companies are more flexible about making internal vacancies part-time if they know they have a suitable candidate to put into it.

fruitstick Mon 29-Jun-09 20:03:26

I feel like a graduate again, asking for work experience!

I'd quite like to work in the charity sector. Do you think it would be worth contacting them offering to volunteer while I'm on ML?

CaraghR Mon 13-Jul-09 20:28:19

Message deleted

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 13-Jul-09 20:32:36

How much??!!

CaraghR Mon 13-Jul-09 20:57:54

Message deleted

CaraghR Mon 13-Jul-09 21:00:22

Message deleted

karenleigh Tue 14-Jul-09 11:31:55

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now