Talk

Advanced search

Eye-catching CV needed!!

(10 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 22-Jun-09 12:02:57

Its a while since I put together my CV, and I expect ideas about them are different these days.

Any Recruitment personnel like to share their loves and hates about CVs? I don't want mine to be one that gets chucked in the 'no' pile straight away!

Anyone else have any links to sites or templates which have simple but effective CV/resume layouts?

jollyjoanne Mon 22-Jun-09 12:19:46

Have a look at the foolowing linkwww.mumsnet.com/Talk/smallbusinessads/775542-Professional-CV-writing-improvement-50 laumiere may be able to help.

meep Mon 22-Jun-09 12:20:39

well done jolly I opened this up to post the same link!

flowerybeanbag Mon 22-Jun-09 15:10:15

Time to wheel out my basic cv tips again, cut and pasted from several other threads...

'Put personal information at the top (name, address, contact number only, not 'married 3 kids age 37 favourite colour blue').

Put a personal profile-type statement after that, just a couple of lines summing up what experience/skills you have to offer and the type of position/company you are looking for. Obviously make sure these tie in with the job you are applying for.

For each job, put dates, job title and employer, in reverse date order. For most recent/relevant jobs put a list of bullet points of main responsibilites and/or achievements. Do this with the job description for the job you want in front of you so you can emphasise relevant stuff.

Then qualifications/training. List in most recent order, include relevant training courses and higher education if you have it. Don't put Home Ec O Level. Everything on your cv should help you get the job you are looking for, and school exams usually won't unless you are a school leaver or very early in your career.

Don't put photos or anything else annoying and irrelevant, don't put it in a folder or on pink paper, don't staple it. It needs to be easy to read and easy to copy. Put page numbers and your name in the footer of each page in case of mishaps with photocopying.

It should be no more than 2 sides if at all possible. Don't leave gaps but jobs that were ages ago and/or are not relevant can be just listed with dates and little or no information about them.'

flowerybeanbag Mon 22-Jun-09 15:11:42

I typed 'free cv template' into Google, loads of stuff to browse through here

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 22-Jun-09 17:05:30

Flowery - thanks.

Contrary to what I had thought, times have not changed with regards to CVs - you have confirmed that I should stick to what I have always done.

And definitely no pink!

laumiere Mon 22-Jun-09 18:42:14

Lightshines Perfectly happy to help if you wish, I write and edit CVs professionally and have a 98% hit rate for getting people interviews.

Flowery's advice is good, but don't forget a good covering letter also sets you out from the crowd.

manyhands Thu 25-Jun-09 09:29:10

I'm trying to get a teaching job, do you have any experience of producing letters of application for teachers?

laumiere Thu 25-Jun-09 11:08:44

manyhands I used to teach English abroad, and can discuss this further with you, either by phone or email, details are here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/smallbusinessads/775542-Professional-CV-writing-improvement-50

manyhands Thu 25-Jun-09 11:16:16

Will see how my interviews go on Friday and if I'm still struggling will be in touch. I used to teach English abroad too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now