Talk

Advanced search

Afterschool clubs or childminder?

(6 Posts)
janx Thu 18-Jun-09 20:55:21

I work 3 days a week with an hours commute each way - have been back six months. dd is starting school in sept and ds is in nursery (not near each other). Need childcare for after school and can't decide between asc or trying to get a cm for a couple of hours. My dd is a fairly outgoing girl but am wondering whether it will be too much to have school and then an asc - any suggestions/advice?

hana Thu 18-Jun-09 20:58:35

our afterschool club is fantastic. dd1 (7) has attended since reception, and dd2 (4) will go when she is full time school (Jan 09) I think you need to have a look at the provision on offer to mae a decision. Though it's AT school, it's nothing like school!

pointydog Thu 18-Jun-09 21:05:38

It's just personal choice and depends on your local options.

I have preferred a cm as childrne do get tired after a day a school, it can be very busy and noisy at school and also at AS clubs, and it's easier to sit and realx in a quieter home atmosphere.

bigstripeytiger Thu 18-Jun-09 21:07:15

I agree, you need to look at the otions that are available near you.
I use an asc, and its great. Its not run for profit, so the staff ratios are reallly good, and there are always loads of activities for the children.
You also have the advantage that it at the school, so you dont have to worry about a CM picking up and taking home, and if your CM is ill you might have no childcare, where asc wont shut if 1 staff member is off sick.

Kiwinyc Fri 19-Jun-09 10:38:39

We had the same situation and use ASC. DD went to Private Nursery for full days and is used to being looked after until 5 or 6pm. She's in there with friends and they get a snack and do all sorts of outdoor activities. They can also sit quietly indoors doing craft projects, homework or watch a video. Its also more reliable because they're always open and in our case is also cheaper than a childminder.
It is a bit of pain if Nursery & school are not near each and you have to pick up both but my DH and I try to do one each for drop off and pick up.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 19-Jun-09 14:20:18

DS went to afterschool club 3 days a week in reception year and the same now he is a Yr1.

Its great, there is a huge range of activities, a set activity each day like baking etc for those that want to join in, huge beanbags and cushions for those that just want to relax and read/watch a film (film only after a certain time i think). A quiet corner for homework if the older ones want to do that.

Its also great that its at the school to no walking in all weathers after and they get a snack and drinks. Price is very reasonable and there is always cover in the event of staff sickness etc. Ours also lets you book the sessions the week before so if you dont need them you dont pay.

Another bonus is that if DS wants to attend any after school activity he can and simply go the the ASC after. Lots of CM's wont go back for children after activities so they dont get to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now