Talk

Advanced search

Part-time hours - how to work out what's best

(7 Posts)
sazzerbear Wed 17-Jun-09 19:52:11

Sorry in advance, there's a similar thread on here however my question is slightly different.
I am looking to return to work (around 18 hours a week) and ds is 2. Lots of ads say "flexible as to part-days/days etc" but what is best all round for all concerned? EG with 18 hours a week, is it better to work 3 whole days or 4 part-days taking into consideration travel time to and from nursery etc etc? I want to make sure I have thought about every angle before comitting to something I may regret later. TIA grin

sazzerbear Wed 17-Jun-09 20:28:30

bump

accessorizequeen Wed 17-Jun-09 20:39:17

it will cost you a lot more in nursery fees doing 4 part days than 3 whole days. Working part-days is a pita as you still have to get there and back, get dressed up etc, do drop-offs. I've always found it easier to be clear in my mind that today is work day, tomorrow is dc's day. Plus when I'm at work I can have a lunch break, which is for me a real bonus of working.

sazzerbear Wed 17-Jun-09 20:43:54

Good thinking, thanks accessorize! How to work it when the time comes is doing my head in, so many things to consider aaagh!

Kiwinyc Wed 17-Jun-09 22:00:19

I do 3 whole days. I'd never do half-days, too much rushing about and extra travel costs. My boss wanted me to consider 4 days hours over 5 shorter days but i pointed out that i'd have to pay for 5 days of childcare and travel/parking etc for 4 days pay so where was the sense in that? grin

lechatnoir Wed 17-Jun-09 22:34:34

I'd split an 18 hour week into two 9 hour days if possible and get it over & done with TBH. Agree that more shorter days are more stressful than fewer longer days and travel, childcare etc usually don't make sense financially.
LCN

karenleigh Tue 14-Jul-09 12:10:47

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now