Talk

Advanced search

Totally confused and feeling really fed up!

(2 Posts)
PanicMum Mon 15-Jun-09 21:34:01

Hi I am new to this and thought it might be the best place to get some advice. Here's the problem. I am an HLTA in a Primary School and now 11 weeks pregnant. I planned to take a whole year off work but finding the whole maternity pay thing so confusing and not sure who to talk to. I've looked through government sites and unison info until my eyes were square but still completely confused. Have no idea whether I get Stat Maternity Pay or Contractual. I was under the impression I'd get more or less 90% for 9 months not just 6 weeks. Everyone keeps telling me to keep my mouth shut about whether I am going back or not to ensure I get my maternity pay. I hate my job and am desperate to leave unfortunately I can't afford to pay back the maternity pay. Also, if I resign from my job after my maternity, can I still get benefits or is giving up my job a reason for me not to be allowed any benefits except family allowance.

Sorry I know its a lot to bear but I am seriously stressed about it already.

Cheers for any help

wrongsideof40 Mon 15-Jun-09 22:31:13

Hi - calm down - it's early days to be getting stressed about this - plenty of time to sort it out. The first place to look is your Contract of Employment . What does it say about Maternity Leave ?

If you get enhanced Maternity pay then it is usual to have a clause requiring an employee to go back to work for a period of time - often 3 months - or they have to repay the enhanced pay.

I would advise you not to make any hasty decisions about your job, TA posts are quite sought after - maybe you could go part-time or change schools ?

Good Luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now