Talk

Advanced search

3 days at work- what combination of days best?

(29 Posts)
clothaddict Mon 15-Jun-09 15:33:25

I posted in nursery topic too but my basic question is I am about to return to work 3 days (and DS will be in nursery those days), at the moment I have a bit of choice over days- any opinions on which combination of days best?

My initial instinct was three days in a row (Mon-Wed) but then perhaps that's too long for DS to do in nursery and a split week may be better/less tiring for him, e.g. Mon, Tue, Thu? Also now thinking would a day off mid week help to get meals etc. prepared rather than having to try and sort 3 days all in a row?

What do others do? Any opinions?

Tinker Mon 15-Jun-09 15:35:17

I'd do Tues to Thurs. Looong weekends. Mon to Wed might be best re bank holidays though. I think 3 days in a row at nursery would be better tbh, less chopping and changing.

clothaddict Mon 15-Jun-09 15:41:45

Thanks, never thought about the chopping/ changing bit for him. He is 14 months and at the moment he does 2 afternoons (Wed, Thu) and Thu is usually his better day so maybe 3 in a row would be best?

GoodWitchGlinda Mon 15-Jun-09 15:44:15

I had the same dilema when I went back to work. I opted for putting all the days together instead of splitting them, so as to get it all out the way. I think this is good for the DC and also for me to know that we have long weekends instead of one day on, one day off.

Also might work out better for holidays etc. You could have long weekend with your DP or whoever and you would not have to book any time off.

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 15:52:31

I do know someone who split her days, and TBH it was a nightmare all round, as it was a bit like her first day back every day. Wheras by putting them together, you have one bit of 'Monday morning feeling' and then get on with it all.

Think I'd do Weds, Thur, Fri - quieter days at nursery

lechatnoir Tue 16-Jun-09 11:37:18

When I went back to work 3 days I initially split my week & did Monday, Wed, Thurs - this worked really well as mum cared for DS on the Monday, it gave me & DS a lovely break mid week and I always got the bank holidays off.

My mum then unfortunately had an operation & then broke her leg so DS had to go to nursery for the 3 days it all became a bit of a nightmare - he was very unsettled & became very clingy on my off days.

I'd go with Mon-Wed to benefit from the bank holidays.
LCN

clothaddict Tue 16-Jun-09 14:53:14

Thanks all its helped to clarify issues in my head, still need to work out some logistics with work and nursery but think I'll go for 3 in a row.

cyteen Tue 16-Jun-09 14:57:13

I do Wed, Thur, Fri and it's definitely working for us at the moment. Have only just gone back so DS is still settling in at nursery but I really think it helps him to have two chunks of time iyswim - one at home, one at nursery. Also agree that 3 days in a row is much better from a work POV - I used to do Monday, Thursday and Friday and found it really hard to get anything done.

My work compensates p/t people who don't work on Mondays for Bank Holidays, which made it easier to pick the end of the week!

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 16-Jun-09 19:52:08

I do three in a row, Tues to Thurs so that I get 4 days off in a row. I get the bank hols (pro rata) on top of my annual leave so glad they didnt suggest Mondays as it works out far better for me holiday wise.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 16-Jun-09 20:01:21

I used to do Tues, Thurs, Fri and loved it. It felt like I was around at both ends of the week, and work didn't build up too much while I was away. I also liked doing a midweek shop and spruce of the house blush.

I now do Weds, Thurs, Fri, and the week seems longer. I would recommend working on Fridays though. Childcare is really easy to come by, and it's nice being in the office when everyone has that Friday feeling.

Ambi Tue 16-Jun-09 20:07:06

I'm starting a new position and will be doing tues-thurs which I'm looking forward to for the long weekends as people have mentioned. Bit sad that I'll miss out on the bank holidays, not sure how that'll work out perhaps I'll just lose them, but I'll be at home anyway with DH if he's on Bank Hol. My parents and inlaws are sharing the care, which I'm very lucky.

I'm glad to hear that it seems to work for many of you, I previously did 5 mornings 8.30 - 1.30, and I found I couldn't get anything done as DD would sleep all afternoon so I was stuck in the house.

MrsJamin Tue 16-Jun-09 20:07:28

I do three in a row Tues, Weds, Thurs, it's brilliant, I get a day just me and DS before DH is around at weekend, then another day just me and DS before I work. I think it's easier for a child to do a chunk rather than different every day. Plus 4 days off in a row is lovely, just like a long weekend every week, and also if you want to go away for the weekend, you don't have to take any time off at all Can you tell I love it?!

Waswondering Tue 16-Jun-09 20:09:16

Tues, Weds, Thurs (and part of Friday here too - only till lunchtime from the autumn).

Lovely long weekends, lovely Mondays to put the house back and get caught up and have lazy play dates.

Never have that Sunday night feeling.

Love it!

Mutt Tue 16-Jun-09 20:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJamin Tue 16-Jun-09 20:15:03

Mutt, you get the bank holidays if you work any days - just if you don't normally work Mondays, you can choose when you want to take them - even better grin

Mutt Tue 16-Jun-09 20:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClaraDeLaNoche Tue 16-Jun-09 20:22:24

I work Wed-Fri and while I love working on a Friday, I find that lots of toddler groups are on then as opposed to a Monday. I would plan your days around when you know your friends with kids are off too so you have people to hang out with. If you're that way inclined of course.

CountessDracula Tue 16-Jun-09 20:25:41

When I last worked 3 days I did

Mon am
Tues all day
Weds am
Thurs all day

That worked really well

MrsJamin Tue 16-Jun-09 20:26:53

Mutt - this was brought up before, as I found it out through MN.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Tue 16-Jun-09 20:29:50

I do Mon-Weds (because of the bank hols as well) and yes, telling everyone to have a lovely weekend on a Wednesday afternoon makes my week

littlebrownmouse Tue 16-Jun-09 20:30:43

I do Monday, Tuesday, wednesday. DH does Wednesday, thursday, Friday. Tis a dream! Love it, I get all jobs done before weekend now that DCs are older and we have weekend dossing around. I'm a teacher too so we get four days a week off together in hols.
Def best to have me working beginning of week from the jobs done for the weekend point of view. Jobs are not DH's strong point!

jkklpu Tue 16-Jun-09 20:32:37

Definitely 3 days in a row: easier for your lo to have 2 separate, self-contained routines and means you get 4-day weekend every week. It will also make it easier for you to switch off from work stuff, which would be impossible if you were doing alternate days.

CacklingandBarking Tue 16-Jun-09 20:34:12

I always had/have a Weds off, so worked Mon, Tues and Thurs (also worked Fri, but DH was off then so he had DD). DD liked the break in the week and so did I, made the whole thing much shorter in a way (never working more than 2 days in a row) I'll do the same when I go back to work having had DS.

tigermaj Tue 16-Jun-09 20:35:52

I too work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and it works really well for us. There is nothing like that feeling on a Thursday when your weekend starts and you have more days stretching ahead of you with your DC than you just spent at work.

Its also a good excuse to crack open a bottle of wine on a Thursday night to celebrate the weekend starting!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 16-Jun-09 20:42:22

From a work POV, going part time I found that I have to be much more focussed to get through everything and leave on time - there's not the leeway that i used to have when I worked full time.

For me mon tues weds was good as it's at the front of the week that meetings seem to happen, people are heads down and working and it's easier to actually get down and work. People start winding down from about weds afternoon (maybe that's just where I've worked!) and although it's a nicer atmos it means less motivation to actually do anything!

HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now