Advanced search

career change is staring me in the face!( sorry it's a bit long)

(7 Posts)
kerfuffle Wed 11-May-05 08:51:45

I am going back to work in November, really not looking forward to leaving my dd at nursery and stresses of work etc. Was considering being SAHM, but to be honest I think I need some stimulation to the grey matter and the extra pennies will be very welcome.I thought about going into teaching primary because I enjoy the company of little people and think I would be quite good at it.Itt would also fit in with family life better than my current job.I can't do this as I haven't got a degree (my highest qualification is a diploma in midwifery studies which is equivalent to the second year of a degree). Also couldn't do it because my maths is rubbish (got my o level, don't know how!)Also heard through a friend that teaching is as stressful as midwifery, and involves as much red tape and beauracracy. Then it occured to me - childcare! Instead of leaving my dd at nursery, I could go too and look after the children. Then by the time she goes to school I would have enough experience to open my own nursery so that I would have flexibility during school holidays and special events etc. There's never enough childcare facilities are there? Just wanted to ask, is this a genius idea or is there a snag that I haven't considered? Also, does anyone know what qualifications/experience is required to open a day nursery?

kerfuffle Wed 11-May-05 09:24:43

Okay, i've found the snag. Just searched the web for childcare courses. It seems that I need to do 150 hours work in a nursery whilst doing the course. I was hoping I could do the course at home whilst dd is so little (6 months) and then get a little part time job when she is one and take her with me. Looks like I'll have to put my thinking cap back on.

beatie Wed 11-May-05 09:29:49

This might not be a problem. You might be able to find a nursery which will let you do the work experience and take your child along. It's worth asking around.

littlerach Wed 11-May-05 09:44:46

I worked in a nursery where DD1 also went, I would have been studying ATM, but went on maternity leave with DD2 and decided not to go back.
If you contact you local Early Years dept, at the council, they can probably give you an idea of which nurseries will offer you a job.
You can also do some evening courses which give you extra qualifications, such as Child Behaviour, and these require you to be in a setting, but it could probably be voluntary.
You couls also contact ASK as they sometimes have details of experience and qualifications needed.
You could also look at starting a playgroup in your area, if there is a need for it, this is much easier and you are still gaining experience in childcare, although not the same.

kerfuffle Wed 11-May-05 10:11:06

Thanks for the advice. I will contact the council and see if there are any opportunities.

bambino1 Fri 13-May-05 09:37:47

I am a nursery nurse and at the nursery I used to work at there were about four members of staff who were not qualified but training. Also a friend of mines mum is in her 40's and is training for the nvq level 3.

jothorpe Sat 14-May-05 18:15:09

While you are contacting Early Years (EYDCP), if in England, then also ask for copies of the National Standards for Daycare and Childminding: Full Day Care - plus the Guidance books. You can download these also from Ofsted and SureStart's websites. They will tell you about the standards required to be met when running a nursery. As an owner, there is little no requirements - but the Manager does need to be suitably qualified and experienced.

Have you thought about Childminding. There is the drawback of using your own home... but it would be cheaper to set up and if really sucessful, could turn your home into a day nursery (if planners allow). Ask EYDCP for a CM1 pack while you're at it - it's the pack that's used to register as a Childminder, for which you need NO Qualifications but will probably need to do an Introduction to Childminding course (ICP) - again, ask EYDCP for when next course is being held... typically they are either daytime, or evenings and don't last all that long. Childminder registration with Ofsted can take 12weeks+.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: