Talk

Advanced search

Preventative Family Worker...Sure Start....

(13 Posts)
Doobydoo Fri 29-May-09 15:32:02

Halooo...Have interview for this job coming up,have been out of work force for approx 10 years on and off.
Does anyone on MN do this job?If so,any advice as I think the job description and the reality might be vastly different!
Thankyou

Doobydoo Fri 29-May-09 18:04:00

Bumparoosmile

Doobydoo Sun 31-May-09 21:04:28

bump in hope

ilovethecake Mon 01-Jun-09 18:55:26

Hi, would love to help, but have no idea, so thought i'd bump for you instead!! Good luck smile

Doobydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 11:42:50

Thankyousmile

mrsgboring Wed 03-Jun-09 11:44:16

Dooby, no idea but what an interesting and potentially valuable job (though very hard too I should imagine). What is the person spec - is it a social worker role?

Doobydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 11:59:36

Level 3 [at least]in Childcare,healthcare etc.2 years experience of working with children and families.
I think there are aspects of Social Work.
It seems to be about encouraging people classed as disadvantaged to access Sure Start centres and the facilities and help they can offer,in order for their children to have a good start in life.
May have to visit families/carers at home and liase with multi-disciplinary agencies[I love that phrase] grin

Doobydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 12:00:48

Not very good description of job.blushBut I do think it sounds interesting

hobbgoblin Wed 03-Jun-09 12:01:01

I'm a Family Support Worker for Extended Schools working in partnership with Sure Start if that's any help?

Doobydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 12:04:12

Ooooo how do you find it?
I have seen a couple of these posts advertised recently.
Is there lots of red tape?Can you do your job...how do you work with the centres and do you think that they are reaching out to the people that could do with more support?
Thankyougrin
Also what was the interview like.Mine says a panel and for 45 mins!

hobbgoblin Wed 03-Jun-09 12:12:18

Weeeeell. There is an incredible degree of bureaucracy which becomes quite frustrating. In reality, what is happening with family support work is that overstretched Children Schools and Families is sifting the workload because it is truly unmanageable for them with their limited resources.

It was never meant to be this way but, in essence as a FSW you do lower level CSF work. The idea was that Support Workers worked at a preventative level (Level One) where support was available to all. In reality, you may find yourself involved with areas of level 2 and 3 work but without the support required, or the salary, possibly even the ability due to lack of training. For me, this makes the job satisfying and challenging but also at times demoralising.

Have a read up on CAF as this will help you stand out from the crowd at interview.

hobbgoblin Wed 03-Jun-09 12:15:27

That should say read up on Integrated Practice as well as CAF blush!

Also, what does the 'preventative' translate as in the spec?

I know of two support workers based in a secondary school who are supposed to be providing family support as well as behavioural support to students but who spend over 70 percent of their time essentially running a 'naughty kids club' for those close to exclusion.

You really need to stand your ground with these roles, I think, because they are new and open to, um, inerpretation, shall we say?!

Doobydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 12:26:55

Thankyou for all that.
That is a very good question re 'Preventative'as I am not entirely sure!
I come from a paediatric nursing background and have had to find out bits and bobs from the internet as I think the job spec rather wishy washy.
CAF Is the Common Assessment Framework isn't it?
I find the disparity between the job spec and the actual role not unsurprising,unfortunately.
Inadequate staff support can be really demoralising can't it?
I am wandering around muttering to myselfgrin
My main objective is not to make a total twit of myself.I believe it is a job I could do well and can see the need for it...but am aware that reality very different.Thankyou.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now