Talk

Advanced search

Classroom Assistant ?

(11 Posts)
ChoxAway Thu 28-Apr-05 20:30:30

What do I have to do to become a primary school classroom assistant or even a teacher ?
I fancy a career change !

pootlepod Thu 28-Apr-05 20:31:36

Be utterly mad?

AuntyQuated Thu 28-Apr-05 20:38:03

be utterly mad is spot on.

but teachers need a reaching degree or a degree plus a PGCE (post graduate certificate of Education)

classroom assistants need to be in the right place at the right time, they then get on the job training and can go on to do NVGs etc.

hth

AuntyQuated Thu 28-Apr-05 20:39:04

as well as a reaching degree you need a teaching degree

SaintGeorge Thu 28-Apr-05 20:51:46

Got my hopes up for a sec there AQ - I'm really good at reaching, can get to top shelves and everything. Now my hopes of a new career are dashed

ChoxAway Thu 28-Apr-05 20:53:36

ssd Wed 04-May-05 09:53:53

Choxaway have you decided what to do? I'd like to become a classroom ass. one day too.

Rinkydink Wed 04-May-05 19:32:49

Chox - check your local college, mine does part time courses for teaching assistants, free child care, and they'll help you find a work experience placement which could lead to a job after you finished the course.
Worth a look
xx

Shazzler Wed 04-May-05 19:37:06

I have put my name on our local councils relief register so that if I have to go back to work I will have experience and would be more likely to get a permenant job.

Have had no job offers yet though!

thedogmother Wed 04-May-05 19:44:17

LSA's (Learning Support Assistants) don't actually need qualifications, strangely enough, however, having an NVQ Level 3 is often what a school will be looking for.

Things are changing now though. The HLTA is the way of the future. (Higher Level Teaching Assistant).

Whizzz Wed 04-May-05 19:54:49

I'll own up - Chox was me after having a particularly bad day at work ! I still like the idea, as DS starts school in Sept & I'm not sure how to juggle everything yet. However the chances of me getting a job in the school where he'll be is probably very remote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now