Talk

Advanced search

Will I ever work again?

(12 Posts)
emkana Sat 16-Apr-05 21:15:50

I'm a SAHM and I love it. Have been at home for four years now with dd1 and dd2, nearly four and 20 months. Am hoping to have another baby next year and will want to stay at home for a few more years then, until they are all at full-time school. So that will mean nine years at home. NINE YEARS! Before children I did my degree in Germany, then Teacher Training in the UK, then taught German and French at a comprehensive for two years.
Today I read in The Times a quote that a year's maternity leave was too long, that you'd nearly have to retrain after that much time. So I suppose after nine years I will be completely and utterly out of it... or is there any hope for me?

zebraX Sat 16-Apr-05 21:26:24

I would have thought languages are permanent skills, always work for translaters & language teachers.

Flossam Sat 16-Apr-05 21:29:00

As a nurse we have to have a programme of updating and learning if we have a break of several years from the job. Can't remember the name or the length of time though. Lucky you having such a lovely time of with your children though! I'm trying to work out what to do about work when I have to return in the next month or so.

paolosgirl Sat 16-Apr-05 21:38:16

What about setting up a language club for kids? You could run it once a week, just to keep your hand in? Or do tutoring? Or p/t translating? Crikey, what I wouldn't give to be able to be fluent in 2 foreign languages - lucky thing, you!

Lonelymum Sat 16-Apr-05 21:44:39

I have been at home for nine years now (apart from a brief return three years ago). I used to teach. I feel completely unable to return now, although I know there are returners' courses which I suppose would be a good way to ease myself back in. It is not the job itself that bothers me, but the complete change of lifestyle that I would have to undergo if I returned to work. I can't believe how confidence sapping it is being at home for nine years. If I were you, I would look to do some part time work before you lose touch completely.

doonsey Wed 04-May-05 11:23:41

Going back to work is so hard after having a baby. I found it easier to work from home and fit the work around my family commitments. Take a look at this - it's the perfect job for all parents you can pick your own hours and there is no pressure!

kerfuffle Wed 04-May-05 11:54:10

doonsey, the link isn't working. Could you give us a clue what it's about as I also would love a compromise ie don't want to be a SAHM but don't want to go back to my old job.

ssd Wed 04-May-05 12:19:19

bump, I'm being nosey and I'd love to know what this is!

doonsey Thu 05-May-05 10:49:48

Hi kerfuffle - call this number 01189 197294 and leave your name, address and phone number then I can send you a DVD or video with all the information

ssd Thu 05-May-05 11:24:03

But doonsay what's it all about?

Fio2 Thu 05-May-05 11:25:43

OMg I have just started a very similar thread

FWIW I dodnt think you will be out of it after 9 years. if you know languages surely you can get back into that if you want to?

doonsey Fri 06-May-05 21:26:01

The business i am in involves retail and network marketing. I choose my own hours and work around all the family commitments without any pressure. The best bit is earning a decent income and still being at all the important events ie sports day, assemblies, christmas plays etc...If anyone is interested in this business opportunity call 01189 197294. It's a 24hr ansaphone where you can leave your name and address and tel number and I will send you all the details(free).Some people are earning £500 part time and £3000 full time.It's a fantastic opportunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now