Talk

Advanced search

Do you think there is a job here?

(6 Posts)
debs40 Wed 11-Feb-09 13:16:01

Welcome to mumsnet Log out | About us | Search: mumsnet mumsnet talk google
Home Talk MyMumsnet Reviews Local Blogs Discounts Shopping Competitions Newsletters FAQs Join Conception Pregnancy Babies Toddlers Books
Mumsnet Talk
Talk: Topics | Customise | Unanswered messages | Useful stuff
Threads: Active | I'm on | I'm watching | I started | Last 15 minutes | Last hour Search Talk
Advanced search >

Mumsnet Discussions: Employment issues : Is there a real job on offer? Anyone with personnel experience please! (One Message)
Add a message Watch this thread Refresh the display Flip this thread Hide this thread Add new thread in this topic
Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.
By debs40 on Wed 11-Feb-09 13:14:32
Hi

Here's a strange situation.

I applied for a post with a prominent government organisation in November. I was amply qualified for it but I was not short-listed.

I pushed for feedback and when it was given (after several weeks) the scoring of my application made absolutely no sense at all. It was clear that either the selected post holder was already in situ or the application process was not fair

I pushed for further feedback and an explanation.

I have now had a call asking from their recruitment team telling me there was some mix up about feedback but that anyway there is a new post - they're not sure if it's permanent - and would I like to be interviewed for it. They said it had happened to several others.

They insisted on speaking to me on the phone about this and would not commit it to writing.

This is a sensitive issue given the nature of the organisation's work.

Do you think there is a job or that they are just interviewing me to shut me up? If there is a post, shouldn't it be advertised too?

mmm, I know it is a government agency but I'm suspicious that my time is being wasted

What do you think?

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Wed 11-Feb-09 13:18:12

I had this with the MOD. The re-interveed me for another 'new' post which I took . The whole time I was there in never felt like a real job but there was no way of proving it in my position.

debs40 Wed 11-Feb-09 13:35:10

Thanks. That's interesting. You actually got the job then when you were re-interviewed?

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Wed 11-Feb-09 14:04:38

Yes, it felt that they just went through the motions. They said they were interviewing others but I didn't see any evidence of that at interview, nor was anyone else hired.

debs40 Wed 11-Feb-09 14:17:54

That is interesting - sounds similar!

They are supposed to be sending me soem information about the post so I will see what it says.

What happened in your case for you to be re-interviewed?

I was told in feedback I didn't get the scores to be shortlisted. When I asked for the scores they were rubbish. Not being arrogant, they just didn't meet the facts by a mile. Like someone hadn't even read my application!

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Wed 11-Feb-09 14:41:15

I didn't get shortlisted because they said they couldn't get a reference from my employer (another govt. organisation). The woman sounded embarassed about not having chased it (think it may have been her personal responsibility) and she hurriedly asked me to come in the next week. This was pretty fast-thinking by her and she must have moved mountains after she got off the phone to me as the recruitment process had included so much security checking. They didn't even check my id at the second interview and I was patted down properly and scanned for the first. The 'interview' was in a hut on-site just with her. hmm

I'm not sure I can convey how utterly ridiculous it was.

Formal job offer on her personal paper the next day.

When I started the job I can't give too much away but it was like Fawlty Towers meets the 19th Century - I only stayed 5 months and on the day I left they tried to prevent me leaving.

A very bizarre time in my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now