Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

cost of sister childminding

(49 Posts)
sassie23 Thu 15-Jan-09 10:20:58

I am hoping to go back to work soon and my lovely sister has offered to childmind for me but I have absolutely no idea how much to pay her. I will be clearing around 250 per week and DS is 10 months old? BTW feeling really guilty about leaving him 5 days a week but can't find anything suitable part time.

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:25:16

Is she a registered childminder? What is her usual charge rate? I would have thought it would be up to her to decide how much to charge you, how much of a discount to offer you?

madlentileater Thu 15-Jan-09 10:26:21

I would post this in childminding! I may be wrong but I think it's illegal to take money for childcare if you are not registered, even if you are a relative- if your sister is not already a registered cm, she may want to think carefully about it.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 15-Jan-09 10:28:08

You are legally not allowed to have this kind of arrangement. Your sister would have to be registered as a Childminder.

DaphneMoon Thu 15-Jan-09 10:32:30

It is not illegal to take money for childminding. It is also not illegal to childmind if you are not a registered childminder, but you cannot advertise yourself as registered if you are not. It is up to the individual parent as to whether they choose a registered childminder or non registered. My sister looked after my son two days a week from the age of 6m until just before he started school. I trusted her completely BECAUSE she is his auntie. How I worked out how to pay her was I contacted a nursery and a registered childminder and paid my sister a rate between the two. She did a fabulous job, go with your sister, she will be the best possible choice. My sister did not need to be registered as far as I was concerned, she already had two DD and this was her nephew, why would I need to find out if she was capable, I knew she was.

DaphneMoon Thu 15-Jan-09 10:33:59

I find it interesting that you all feel it is illegal to pay for childminding if they are not registered. How many parents have paid Babysitters for an evening out? They must be breaking the law then too surely?

ilove Thu 15-Jan-09 10:34:02

It is illegal unless the child is looked after in the childs home

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:35:54

Daphne I'm sure it is illegal to take payment for child care (unless as ilove says the child is in their own home) unless you are registered with OFSTED.

I don't know whether there are exemptions for family members who take payment, but certainly it's illegal generally to childmind for payment unregistered.

DaphneMoon Thu 15-Jan-09 10:35:54

Forgot to say my DS got to spend more time with his cousins than he would have normally and he is still very close to them which I think is absolutely lovely.

DaphneMoon Thu 15-Jan-09 10:37:48

Well all I can say to the OP is, go ahead with it. Can't see how your sister will be arrested for having her neice/nephew in her home for a few hours every week!

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 10:38:52

It is not illegal to take money for childminding if you are a close family member which a sister is defined as being (either by blood or marriage).

It would be illegal if it was a friend.

sassie23 Thu 15-Jan-09 10:38:53

thank you DaphnneMoon its difficult enough contemplating returning to work without being told I will be doing something illegal if I take my DS to stay for a few hours with his much loved auntie who by the way has looked after him for free many times since he was born.How many mums out there have their parents or sisters or brothers looking after their children?? Surely that is the best arrangement for people rather than a stranger just because they are apparently registered?shock

ilove Thu 15-Jan-09 10:39:29

It is still illegal even if it is family...including grandparents. The morality/rights and wrongs of it are irrelevant.

My mum owns a private day nursery, and my son and my sisters children are/were all registered there.

If a child is looked after in THEIR OWN HOME you can pay anyone to look after them.

If they are looked after in the CARERS home then the CARER MUST be registered as a childminder otherwise you ARE breaking the law

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:40:51

I don't think anyone is saying it's not a good arrangement sassie, just talking about taking payment for childminding while unregistered and whether it is illegal or not.

it obviously is illegal, but I said I wasn't sure about family exemptions, which islandofsodor has clarified.

I still think that surely the rate of payment shouldn't be decided by you but negotiated between you.

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:41:49

x-post with ilove, seems still unclear whether a family member can be paid to childmind without being registered!

sassie23 Thu 15-Jan-09 10:42:17

I'm sorry I asked this question really !I cam here looking for advice don't think this is what I expected

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 10:43:14

It is definately nNOT illegal. I could post the relevant OFSTED reference but am at work and a bit short of time to look it upbut if you post on Childminders they will concur.

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:43:23

If it is illegal, would you not want to at least know, so you are making an informed decision if you decide to break the law?

madlentileater Thu 15-Jan-09 10:47:50

Nobody is saying it's not a good idea for your sister to look after your baby, it would probably be lovely, and it's up to your sister if she chooses to break the law or not, obviously.
As far as i know it doesn't matter if the carer is related or not. There is a time limit, I'm not sure what it is, maybe 2-3 hrs, below which the law doesn't apply. If she could come to your home, problem would be solved. But I think then you might be liable for her national insurance etc- you would be her employer.

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 10:49:03

CMs are self employed though. Parents are clients not employers.

lou031205 Thu 15-Jan-09 10:50:28

Not in this case :

(3) A person who—
(a) is the parent, or a relative, of a child;
(b) has parental responsibility for a child;
(c) is a local authority foster parent in relation to a child;
(d) is a foster parent with whom a child has been placed by a voluntary organisation; or
(e) fosters a child privately,
does not act as a child minder when looking after that child.

(a) a spouse [or civil partner];
(b) any parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or...

So, the legal side is taken care of here, because it is a relative that will provide the care.

As for a fair wage, I think you can only go on what you are both happy with.

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 10:52:24

Thanks lou, that was the link I was looking for.

A sister can care for a necie/nephew, perfectly legally for whatever payment you decided between you.

You can not claim it towards tax credits etc thought.

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 10:54:19

Flowery I think madlentil eater means that if the sister cam to the home under normal circumstances that would be defoned as nannying and nannies can not be self employed in 99% of cases (nannynick knows a lot about this)

However there is no n eed in this case as the sister can provide care in her own home.

madlentileater Thu 15-Jan-09 10:58:30

well, thanks for that clarification.

flowerybeanbag Thu 15-Jan-09 11:00:02

Oh yes sorry didn't read madlentileater's post properly, yes if was in child's own home would be employed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: