Talk

Advanced search

Help. Non-teaching interview in school tomorrow. What should I wear?

(15 Posts)
humdrum Mon 12-Jan-09 14:56:04

It's not just an interview but a whole morning - at least 4 hours to be spent in the school. Which means I will certainly be meeting the other candidates and I am worried I will be over or under dressed.

It's for a non-teaching post.

Options are:

Black trouser suit over plain top with smart heels

Black trouser suit with flatter shoes or boots

Black trousers with a smart shirt and boots or shoes

Black trousers with a blouse and smart jumper over the top with shoes or boots.

Help!

klover Mon 12-Jan-09 16:54:23

I'd do with the black trousers and smart blouse and jumper with shoes or boots. You'll look nice and smart but not over dressed if everyone else more casual.

roisin Mon 12-Jan-09 17:08:42

Is this for admin work or TA?

IME admin staff in schools tend to be pretty smart. So for an admin job I would therefore definitely say you need a jacket.

For a TA job you would be OK without the jacket, but personally I wouldn't go for the jumper (for an interview)

If it is a TA job and a 4-hr interview, you will probably be expected to be interacting with the children (is it primary), and personally I would go for flatter shoes, as I'm more comfortable in them.

humdrum Mon 12-Jan-09 17:46:21

It's a Library Assistant job in a Secondary School.

BoffinMum Mon 12-Jan-09 17:57:31

Black trouser suit and blouse with jumper (because it might be cold) and flattish smart shoes.You can take the jacket off if you feel overdressed.

roisin Mon 12-Jan-09 18:15:33

I would say with jacket definitely.

ChocolateEclair Mon 12-Jan-09 18:53:24

I'd say the suit with flat shoes. I think it's always better to be over, rather than under, dressed. If the other candidates are less smart than you, you will look good for the right reasons. I have interviwed TA's before and they have worn suits, even though TA's would wear a suit for everyday work.

Good luck!

ChocolateEclair Mon 12-Jan-09 18:54:57

TA's wouldn't wear a suit normally... sorry long day!

Whizzz Mon 12-Jan-09 19:04:20

erm...why wouldn't TAs wear a suit for work??

GossipMonger Mon 12-Jan-09 19:07:40

I am a TA and I wouldnt wear a suit for work!

I work with Y1 and we paint and draw and glue etc and they have sticky fingers and snotty noses! As the teacher doesnt wear a suit I think I would look overdressed!

TAs seem to have a uniform of dark trousers and tops/cardis/thin jumpers and nice jewellry and flat shoes/boots!

For library position I would go with the suit and flat shoes and then if I felt overdressed I would remove the jacket so it would just be a shirt and trousers.

ChocolateEclair Mon 12-Jan-09 19:09:51

It's just that at my school ( middle school ages 11-14) the TA's tend to end up running cross country or joining in gymnastics! They seem to wear trousers/tracksuits/skirts with boots. I wasn't meaning to sound like TA's never wear suits! I'm sure plenty do! grin

Nell12 Mon 12-Jan-09 19:14:07

I don't know of any TAs that wear suits for work BUT you are going for an interview not for a day at work!!

Wear the suit with comfy shoes as you will be taken on a tour as part of the interview (remember you are being interviewed from the moment you arrive!)

You have to look your very best at an interview; dress more comfortably and less formally when you have got the job!

Best of luck smile

Hulababy Mon 12-Jan-09 19:26:56

I went for a TA job before Christmas and wore a blue skirt with long skirt.

Have to say though - I don't wear a full suit for work. I prefer to wear skirts and tops, and a long cardigan, or sometimes trousers. None of the teachers or TAs at the infant school I work at appear to wear suits.

humdrum Mon 12-Jan-09 19:42:17

OK - thanks everyone. I'll go for the suit over a shirt so I can take the jacket off if I feel uncomfortably overdressed compared to everyone else. And flat shoes.

Whizzz Mon 12-Jan-09 21:45:21

I'm a TA in secondary & have a nice selection of suit jackets, dark trousers and nice jewellery grin
I avoid cross country, glue and snot wherever possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now