Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not enough annual leave!!!!!!!

(12 Posts)
supersonic Tue 15-Mar-05 15:28:55

I work part time 1 - 6pm Mon - Fri except Wed I only cover the phone from 5 - 6 - I work from home.
So I get Wednesday off to spend time with my DD who is at nursery in the morning (will be 4 in June. Now she is at nursery I am beginning to realise that I just don't seem to have enough annual leave for all the school holidays - I have have 20 days a year and after having a holiday we have booked in May I will have 7 days left this has got to spread through this easter break, the summer holidays and christmas - I feel awful that I may not be able to spend a few days inthe summer holidays taking her out with her friends etc. I really wnated some advice on what other mums/dads do - how do you manage your leave ? as sometimes I feel it would be easier not to work although this would make things very difficult financially!
I would be greateful of any advice or reassurance.

blossom2 Tue 15-Mar-05 15:30:43

does your company do 'time off in lieu' ie work long hours (when needed) and save them for extra days off.

Alternatively you can always ask for some unpaid leave.

beachyhead Tue 15-Mar-05 15:36:59

You are entitled to unpaid parental leave for up to 4 weeks a year (I think each time you take it, it counts for a week ie. you can't take 20 odd days here and there). May be worth it.

PinkWebby Tue 15-Mar-05 15:38:51

I have to rely on HOliday clubs and take all my time off during the holidays, so that I dont have to pay out so much and can spend time with them. The other thing is to book your abroad holiday during school holidays then this uses up a week or so.

milliways Tue 15-Mar-05 15:39:32

Mine always went to holiday clubs - had a variety round here to try, Now older my MIL has DS in the hols & DD looks after herself mostly (with MIL around). Our best club was in a sports centre with swimming every day, + trampolining, ball pit play area, art&crafts etc + vivsting guests - cost £18-£20per day. DS still goes to a summer club on a farm, & DD attends same place for a 1 week camp in the summer hols. They make friends who they see every holiday.

supersonic Tue 15-Mar-05 15:52:31

Thanks for the advice and ideas. As of next year we will be booking our holiday in the school holiday as DD will be a full time school we just thought whilst she was at nursery we would advantage of the fact we had flexibility with dates and of course it is cheaper.
I did not realise there was 'parental leave' - do you think would apply as I work for 'one man band' business - I wonder if this is discretion of the business or something that goes across all companies - do yiu know how I would find out? The next thing would be approaching my boss - I feel I am constantly asking for time off to spend time with my DD.

PinkWebby Tue 15-Mar-05 16:03:33

You can contact ACAS, they have a website they deal with all HR issues. Everyone is entitled to it one man band or not.

supersonic Tue 15-Mar-05 16:08:56

Thanks very much for this info. pinkwebby its much appreciate. I will contact them, so fingers crossed.

Bozza Tue 15-Mar-05 16:12:50

supersonic - what about your DH - has he got some leave he could use to spend with DD?

supersonic Tue 15-Mar-05 16:19:32

Bozza - At the moment he is working all hours to pay for our holiday (bless him)to Florida but after this and especially int he summer he will be at home 2/3 afternoons a week as he is a postman so he will be with DD and he says he will take her to her friends and do things with her but its just I would like to be able to have the choice to take a day off if I wanted - does that make sense!

KathH Tue 15-Mar-05 18:52:39

A lot of people where i work reduce their days by taking parental leave and just work 2 or 3 days a week in the school holidays - my firm is very child friendly luckily and used to let people do this before parental leave came in.

Bozza Wed 16-Mar-05 15:06:47

Of course it makes sense supersonic. Maybe do as Kath suggests combined with your DH's days off and your DD will have a great summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now