Talk

Advanced search

Teacher returning to work after maternity leave - can I give the beginning of half term as my return date

(11 Posts)
MummyToOneForNow Tue 21-Oct-08 21:33:38

School have asked when I plan to go back after my maternity leave - effectively after the summer half term but can I give the return date as the beginning of half term? Does it have to be a weekday or could it be the Sunday at the start of half term (we have Saturday school) even though I would not normally work on a Sunday. I started my maternity leave on a Sunday (thought you had to although have since realised that this is no longer the case) so it makes sense to end on a Sunday as well - aside from the fact that I would like to be paid for as many days as possible! All the websites I have looked at seem to be rather unclear.

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Wed 22-Oct-08 12:48:53

I know someone who went back the week before summer holidays. I think she thought the following week really would be taking the piss. Tbh it might piss people off if you come back at beginning of half term. Have you remembered to include your accrued annual leave?

tobytortoise Thu 23-Oct-08 11:23:43

If you work in a state school in England you can go back on any day/date that you choose. It doesn't matter about whether it is holiday or term-time.

ninja Thu 23-Oct-08 11:28:23

ohIdoliketobebesidethe I don't think you ger accrued annual leave in a school - sadly! so yes i'd go back at the beginning of a holiday, silly not to

sunshine75 Thu 23-Oct-08 18:39:06

I'm a teacher, and I'm going to go back the week before a holiday. To be honest people think you are taking the piss if you choose the beginning of a holiday. You are entitiled to but it doesn't look good.

nooonit Thu 23-Oct-08 19:01:51

At my junior school five of us have recently returned from maternity leave (within last 2 yrs) and have all used first day of holidays as our return date.

Don't think it takes the piss - just think it's a common sense financial thing to do. Even if your head is snotty I'm sure they would do same thing in same situation.

Go for it - you need the extra money then more than any other time!

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Thu 23-Oct-08 20:28:18

you see I was clueless - but in other jobs you accrue annual leave and take it at full pay at the end - so what you're suggesting is the same as what everyone else does really.

mumnosbest Fri 24-Oct-08 00:28:02

I went back on the first day of summer half term (a staurday), worked 7 weeks then had the summer hols! and as for it being frowned upon?... my head suggested it and who else would know or care? Us teachers work hard enough so why not work the system in our favour when we can?

WriggleJiggle Fri 24-Oct-08 00:33:45

Of course you can start it then. So long as you give them enough notice you can start it anytime. Although they do have a right to postpone it for up to a month I think (on full pay).

As you work in an independant school (I presume), you had better check your own contract though incase it is sightly different.

SqueakyPop Fri 24-Oct-08 08:04:14

Most teachers will manipulate their leave to make holidays part of work time rather than leave. The schools expect it - the managers would have done the same when they were having their kids.

I would suggest going back in the week before the holiday so that you can hit the ground running when you get back.

MummyToOneForNow Mon 27-Oct-08 10:36:21

Thanks for all the responses - am still a bit undecided as I don't want to annoy the school and I think they might try to stop paying my maternity cover from the day I return (he is lovely and will be writing reports over half term). On the other hand I will have stacks of preparation to do over half term so it would be quite nice to be paid for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now