Advanced search

would you like to improve on this profile on my cv...i am trying even harder

(9 Posts)
zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 16:52:07

...i am still plugging away at trying to get a job

so I am applying for Sales and marketing assistant and a PA/events admin job

so rejigging my CXV again

please improve this introduction for me

Well qualified graduate, experienced in a management role in a customer oriented environment, with excellent administrative skills and the ability to work to targets and deadlines. Self motivated and able to use initiative to manage projects and communicate at all levels.

and then i will have my employment then qualifications

thank you smile

zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 16:52:37

thatll be my CV lol not sure where the x came from

zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 17:36:30

maybe it is ok

flowerybeanbag Mon 20-Oct-08 19:13:02

If I were recruiting to assistant/admin roles I might be put off by that I'm afraid.

'Experienced in management', 'manage projects' plus 'well-qualified graduate', to me sounds like someone who may not be happy in an assistant/admin role.

You need to write your profile with the job description of the role you're applying for in front of you.

If it requires management experience, then do emphasise that, but if it doesn't, don't put it. Emphasise the things the job is looking for.

zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 19:17:42

oh dear I sent it

never mind

thank you smile

zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 19:18:06

i'd be happy doing anything

flowerybeanbag Mon 20-Oct-08 19:24:24

Oh sorry. Well fingers crossed anyway!

I'm sure you would be happy doing anything, but my instant reaction, if I had 20 cv of people for an admin/assistant job and one was emphasising management experience I'd probably think twice if I'm honest.

zippitippitoes Mon 20-Oct-08 19:33:14

they always seem to ask for such demanding things in the job descriptions whatever the role it seems to me

flowerybeanbag Mon 20-Oct-08 19:40:28

Tricky. Because of the market at the moment I guess.

AS a recruiter, what you want from a well-drafted job description/advert is the right number of good applicants. Not loads and loads, but just enough of a good selection. So you try and write the jd/ad to reflect the role you are recruiting and also to make sure that people who won't be suitable 'self-select' themselves out because they can easily see that they don't meet a criteria.

Of course, a recruiter shouldn't put loads of requirements that aren't actually necessary, and that's not the way to get the best person either, but they might be tempted to be more demanding with jds just because at the moment they can iyswim?

But my top tip is always to write cv/letter with the job description/person specification/ad in front of you and make sure that you have emphasised each of the criteria in such a way that it's really easy for someone to skim-read and tick them off. Sometimes applications will be read really quickly and someone shortlisting will want to be able to run through and 'tick tick tick - yes pile' without too much effort. So try and make exactly what they are asking for stand out and be easily identified.

Best of luck for those and for others as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now