Advanced search

10 minute powerpoint presentation ive never done one...any tips

(51 Posts)
zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:06:32

..please

it is to two interviewers

a pitch of product concept

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 04-Oct-08 20:07:58

oooh - I did my first today!! got advice from people here - hang on......

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 04-Oct-08 20:09:58

here
it ended up being a 30 min slot but it went so smoothly thanks to the advice I got

RustyBear Sat 04-Oct-08 20:15:42

Keep it reasonably simple, don't have too many 'gimmicks' - animations etc, they will have seen them all before.

Don't put too much text on each slide, it makes it dificult to read.

Make sure your titles are always in the same place, or else they seem to jump around as the slides change.

If you're using their computer check the version of Powerpoint is compatible, or save your presentation in a form that can be read by any computer.

If you are using your computer & need to switch the display to show it with a projector, make sure you know how to do it.

Mimsy2000 Sat 04-Oct-08 20:17:05

keep words on slides to a minimum

cut any slides that aren't absolutely necessary, eg not particulalry useful to have slide that is just a title of the section of your presentation.

diagrams/pictures tend to make more of an impression than words.

stand up when you present- you command the room more

if you are a not a designer don't try and be too clever with the design of the ppt. you'll waste time and it will prob look naff.

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:19:38

ive never used powerpoint

it is an interview

they just say available laptop overhead projector flip chart

you can alternatively present with a mood board

so i have been advised by dd to prepare a powerpoint

just two guys interviewing me

well two very senior guys lol

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:21:03

i checked your thread kitty thank you

um

you say more thanb the slide does?

i think i need to be a bit like the folk on dragons den

llareggub Sat 04-Oct-08 20:22:16

Any buyers on here who can advise what would be the best presentation method? Mood board sounds quite specific, I wonder if they expect that?

Otherwise, I'd keep it simple. Can you get hold of the charity logo to go on the powerpoint slide? Try and use their house style if you can figure it out.

Definitely don't go for one that works automatically, I've seen people go pearshaped with that.

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:22:29

right not jump around if there are two people will we all be looking at the laptop

it was suggested bty dd bf that 8 slides would cover ten minutes

llareggub Sat 04-Oct-08 20:23:14

On powerpoint there is a bit where you can add notes only you can see....that's what I do. Use the powerpoint slides as your prompt and talk around it. Keep info on slide to a minimum.

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 20:23:32

I'm going to throw a bit of a spanner in the works here but I would go with the mood board tbh. Unless you have loads of words you need to explain what you're talking about? I'm a professional pitch adviser and we never use powerpoint anymore unless someone has specifically asked for it - it's much easier to engage with the people you're presenting to if they're not distracted by the screen behind your head.

Actually - let me turn that on its head - what do you feel more comfortable doing?

llareggub Sat 04-Oct-08 20:24:51

You look at the powerpoint, they'll look at the screen. THey'll have it rigged up to a projector, you'll just need to plug in your memory stick.

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:24:53

ive got an idea for the concept now which i am confident in

im wondering whether they want to see artistic input or just persuasive stuff, clear argument

or pc skills

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 04-Oct-08 20:25:59

I didnt know that llaregrub - bum! would have been easier today - I had key points on postcards but didnt really need them except when I took fright blush

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:26:58

ok im in two minds whether it should be mood/stroy board an option on the list or pp

under competencies first is creative

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:27:47

im just worried either will look gcse

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 04-Oct-08 20:30:36

I think keep it crisp and tidy. gcse is one with loads of flashy bits!

wouldnt have the foggiest where to start on a story board!!!

RustyBear Sat 04-Oct-08 20:37:22

I think if you are at all creative, I'd go for the mood board - as spicemonster says ppt is a bit old hat now.

DH did some work for a DIY chain who wanted to compare customers' buying habits in different areas - he had loads of impressive anaylysis on software costing thousands - but what really impressed the client was the large map of Britain on a pinboard with different coloured pins for the various customer profiles - which was nice because I'd spent most of the previous Sunday sticking pins in for him grin

pointydog Sat 04-Oct-08 20:41:03

what is mood board? PLease tell

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:42:53

moodboard is when i try not to go all laurnce llewellyn bowen a collage

pointydog Sat 04-Oct-08 20:44:10

so is it pictures and collage and words? Is there a structure to it?

pointydog Sat 04-Oct-08 20:44:25

and is it hand-done?

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:44:43

aagh i am so indecisive this is going to take me an absurd amount of time and changes of mind

i am tryiong to project quick thinking works to deadlines persuasive crewative good at presentation and communication

zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 20:46:45

well you could photoshop one but i dont have photoshop

you could cut and stick and present

or cut and stick and photocopy

storyboard is lkike a static pp

moodboard is like a pictorial/textiural mind map

pointydog Sat 04-Oct-08 20:50:27

"pictorial/textiural mind map" - that I understand!

Would take me ages. I'd powerpoint. But then in my line of work that's considered trendy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now