Talk

Advanced search

Occupational Health questionaire - Worried about one of the questions - Advice please

(21 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:08:39

For those that don't know, I have been offered a job as a maternity care assistant. I have to fill in a questionaire for occupational health.

There is a question about my mental health, which reads as follows ' Do you have a history of anxiety, depression, psychiatric disorder, stress related probnlems, eating disorders, drug/alcohol missue, self harm or overdose ?'

When I was 17, I did take an overdose of paracetamol, only a small one, 13 tablets, but an overdose non the less. At the time, I recieved one session of counselling and that was it. I didn't go on to need AD's, or an other treatment.

This was now nearly 15 years ago.

Do I really need to answer yes then to the above question ?? I am really worried that if I do, I either won't be given the job, or they will make a big deal out of it.

My mum doesn't know about the overdose, and as she works in the same place that I will be, I am worried that she will find out. I know it is supposed to be confidential though.

Also, I was treated for PND in 1999. Had some counselling, but no meds. Do I need to disclose that ?

MrsJamesMartin Tue 30-Sep-08 22:13:07

You do need to be honest, they may want additional info from your GP which would disclose this anyway.
If you are currently ok and not receiving any treatment I don't think it should be a problem.
Your mum will not find out, it is confidential info.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:15:49

Thanks

I will have to change my answer, as I circled NO on the sheet because my mum was here when I filled it in.

I think my gp will be fully supportive of me working so I think she will say all of the right things, I am just worried that it will ruin everything.

I know it is all confidential, but I am irrationally panicking that my mum will find out, or at the very least wonder whats going on if my start date is delayed by them requesting more info.

PootleAndThePoseysMum Tue 30-Sep-08 22:17:38

To be honest I don't think that one occassion when you were 17 - which is 15 years ago - can be described as having a history of something can it? Otherwise most of us would have a history of being alcoholics because we once got drunk in our teens and I think most teens do that at some point !?!

I'd put No - and I don't think I'd be lying if I was you.

Beauregard Tue 30-Sep-08 22:17:43

Dont panic Nutty
Answer it truthfully but it really wont make any difference to you getting the job.
I used to work for the NHS too and as you know i have long history of mental health problems.
xx

lilymolly Tue 30-Sep-08 22:18:24

answer no

MrsJamesMartin Tue 30-Sep-08 22:20:52

I think its highly unlikely that they would back out of their offer of a job, yes they may want to speak to you about it but they can easily find out from you or your GP that you are no longer having treatment/counselling. Lots of people have these type of things in their past. TBH the NHS would loose half its workforce if job offers were depndent on this.

Really, put the worries about your mum out of your mind, there is no way for her to find out unless she does something very underhand such as posing as you which, I assume, is not going to happen.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:21:24

Argh, now I don't know what to do.

I can't mnake an appointment with my gp to speak about it because the form needs to back asap.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:39

If i put yes, do I actually have to put -'overdosed as a teen' by it ??

compo Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:58

answer no

did you have to go to hospital?

MrsJamesMartin Tue 30-Sep-08 22:24:55

If you put yes then the form usually asks to elaborate, you could write it on a separate sheet to explain fully with much emphasis on it being a one off and nothing like it since.

ScottishMummy Tue 30-Sep-08 22:26:33

congratulations on job offer. the form is screened by occy health,not seen by interview panel.do be truthful.tbh staff are drawn from society and hey are human too and have had issues

dont lie though as this can lead to future disciplinary etc action if it comes to light

and enjoy your new post

SlartyBartFast Tue 30-Sep-08 22:27:51

answer yes, if they do look into it and you have lied it will go against you. if they query it they will write to your gp for further information.

you will be fine.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:28:42

Yes I did have to go to hospital, had blood tests, was observed for a couple of hours and then went home. Later had one session with a psych who decided I was fine.

I think I will put yes. I don't want to lie.

SlartyBartFast Tue 30-Sep-08 22:28:46

have worked in nhs occ health btw.

thingamajig Tue 30-Sep-08 22:29:36

Just tell them. Honestly. I have had a pretty lurid and current mental health history, and have been accepted by the NHS and also onto a childcare course in my time. At worse they will want you to see an Occ Health dr, but they have only been interested as to whether I thought that the job would make me ill, not that I was somehow unfit for any work

IllegallyBrunette Tue 30-Sep-08 22:29:53

Thanks for the help guys, have been fretting over it since I read the question.

SlartyBartFast Tue 30-Sep-08 22:31:18

good luck smile

ScottishMummy Tue 30-Sep-08 22:31:29

answer truthfully, but dont let it detract from excitement of a new job

it is a recordable admission and therefore traceable

PootleAndThePoseysMum Tue 30-Sep-08 22:33:34

If the question reads like this
'Do you have a history of overdosing' and you have only done it once almost 15 years ago then I would definately say No. To me having a history of something implies that you have done it frequently before which you haven't.

Goodness, Im curious now if people think that is lying, I really don't think it is!?!

Best of luck with the job anyhow smile and Congratulations !!

ScottishMummy Tue 30-Sep-08 22:37:45

bigger picture is it will not necessarily disbar op from post.lying/deliberate concealment could result in disciplinary action

all NHS admissions are recorded and traceable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now