Talk

Advanced search

Covering letter

(6 Posts)
sweetgrapes Thu 25-Sep-08 21:16:53

I am applying for a post in the place where I used to work previously. I was not an employee but posted there by a third party for 18 months.

Then I left work to figure things out for dd (sen related stuff) and then had ds. It's been 3 and a half years since I was there and that was my last assignment before leaving.

The CV has their projects listed obviously. I am wondering whether to also mention in the covering letter that I was with them and liked the work place, would like to work there again type of thing.
Also, do I mention specifically that I've been away for 3 and a half years and what I did in that time.

Or do I go with bland, cv enclosed, hope you like it type of cover letter???

(I worked well there so hoping they will look up my managers there and get feedback.)

TIA...

QuintessentialShadow Thu 25-Sep-08 21:22:12

I would mention it on the cover letter, as otherwise they may think you did not realize it is the same company and just churned out an application. Say you enjoyed the work, and give a brief reason why you did not work the last few years, but now it is time to return, and would love an opportunity to work with this company again as you enjoyed it last time and know you can do the job.

gigglewitch Thu 25-Sep-08 21:27:47

same as QS, certainly worth mentioning that you were there thru xyz agency or whatever, who (managers, mentors etc)you worked with, what your role was and that you achieved bla bla and bla wink and enjoyed the work there. Yes I think that mentioning in a positive / skills acquired way (time management, multi-tasking grin) about what you have done with the time in between would be a good idea too, then they are not left with gaps.

good luck

callmeovercautious Thu 25-Sep-08 21:29:39

Yes write a cover letter stating you are returning to work and having worked with them prior to your career break you are keen to rejoin the team.

Be ready for the fact that it will be very different from before, 12m mat leave was enough of a difference for me hmm

sweetgrapes Thu 25-Sep-08 21:36:32

Thanks everyone. Am drafting it right now.

This position is right next door to me and cuts out the commute I had last time - and skill wise it is everything I knew once upon a time!!! Feeling nervous now. 3.5 years is a long time!

phdlife Thu 25-Sep-08 21:46:24

good luck sweetgrapes, and don't forget to tell us if you get it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now