Talk

Advanced search

What's the chances of getting a new part-time job?

(14 Posts)
MrsJamin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:17:52

I can't return to work as they won't give me part time hours (yes been through the whole flexible working charade of a process). So I'm having to look for a part time job. Here's the stats:

workingmums.co.uk - 28,000 candidates registered - 174 jobs listed nationwide - that's 160 candidates per job.
guardian.co.uk/jobs - 402 nationwide part time jobs out of 14,474 - less than 3% of jobs.

it's just so depressing. It seems that everyone's part time jobs were previously full time jobs before they had a baby.

PLEASE can anyone cheer me up and give me optimism? And no, I don't want to be a childminder, run my own business, do book/tupperware/lingerie parties. I have a patchy CV and no clear career path! hmm

heavy Fri 19-Sep-08 14:19:55

you will always get part time work in retail - a lot of smaller companies won't advertise nationally. Best looking locally I think.

MrsJamin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:26:19

sorry but I have a first-class degree from a top university, and post-grad qualifications, just could not contemplate it.

MrsJamin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:26:59

thanks for the suggestion though, Heavy.

sitdownpleasegeorge Fri 19-Sep-08 14:47:40

You say "I can't return to work because they won't give me part time hours."

Your employer is presumably saying "the job cannot be done part-time and we need someone, to do whatever it is you do, full-time".

The reality is that you can return to work but don't want to do full-time any more so the onus is now on you to make this happen if you want to retain a higher paid, intellectually stimulating, career post rather than dumbing down for a few years (which I would not recommend any more than being a SAHM if you have worked long and hard to get to your original position and really want to go back to your career eventually).

Have you looked into job-sharing ?

Are you prepared to pay for adverts to see if there are suitable applicants to take on the other part of your role at work ?

IMHO Career mums do have to actively manage their careers around the maternity leave periods of their life to ensure they keep their foot in the door.

What field do/did you work in ?

pinkdelight Fri 19-Sep-08 15:07:29

Am a bit confused, as this:

"I have a patchy CV and no clear career path!"

and this:

"I have a first-class degree from a top university, and post-grad qualifications"

seem a little at odds. As in, the latter makes it seem like you expect a well-paid professional 'career' job, whilst the former suggests that you hadn't necessarily found the right career/job before this situation came up. Is that the case?

If so, and if getting part-time hours for your current job is impossible, then I guess it's worth sorting out what career path you want to follow before making the CV any patchier. If you know what area you want to work in and have at least some relevant skills and experience, you could angle your CV appropriately and target companies in those areas looking for part-time/contract work. Is that possible?

It sounds like you definitely need to focus in on a particular area because advertised part-time jobs are generally going to be sales or something that doesn't require a first-class degree etc.

MrsJamin Fri 19-Sep-08 17:53:11

Yes that's totally the case. You're astute at pointing it out to me, pinkdelight. I can't make my mind up on a career so yeah it probably is my own fault. hmm The odds are stacked against me from every angle.

Right. off to think about what I reaaaaally want to do with my life.

Anna8888 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:55:30

I have two part-time jobs. I would like a third one, later this year. Plus I have two voluntary activities.

I think your ability to find a decent part-time job depends on what your skills are, and whether you need a regular income. Like you, I have a first class degree and two post-grad degrees, so I only want/will take cerebral-type jobs.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:58:36

Message withdrawn

Anna8888 Fri 19-Sep-08 18:01:45

MrsJamin - what are your degrees in? (to see whether they have any relevance to the type of part-time work I do)

niceglasses Fri 19-Sep-08 18:03:51

I have a degree and a Masters and had a middling senior mgt role before have 3 kids off the trot, then a break of 4 years. I went back to much reduced p/t job in the same field - sort of a para-prof job, but have managed to get promotion recently to a prof role and still p/t. You may need to think about starting lower, even if you move on quickly.

Anna8888 Fri 19-Sep-08 18:05:59

A hint: if you want school term time only jobs, look for jobs in higher education (even shorter terms grin).

pop1973 Fri 19-Sep-08 19:31:49

Mrs Jasmin - I have a Honours Degree and Masters Degree in Education and I am contemplating all sorts of part-time job positions.

I am getting the opinion that if you want really convenient part-time hours then some jobs might be the only option.

I am looking to going back into the educational environment and even considering admin jobs, office jobs and shop work as the hours are a big factor for me.

MrsJamin Sat 20-Sep-08 07:06:06

Without divulging my CV (which would 'out' me immediately as I can't imagine many doing the jobs I've done), yes I have an educational background, and yes I'm trying to stay with that as when DS goes to school the term-time only thing will be incredibly useful. Anna8888 I would like to know what you do, sounds like you could have a few tips for me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now