Talk

Advanced search

Help need about references ?

(8 Posts)
pop1973 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:54:20

I am thinking of going back into the educational environment after taking off 5 years for the family.

I want something ideally, so thinking of goig to a p/t TA jobs.

However, all the adverts ask for 2 references ? I am trying to chase up some old references who I used in the past, but have found that a lot of the headteachers I used have retired or past away.

Some are not even bothering to reply back to me.

What do I do about references? Advice needed

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:56:07

I went back to work after 12 years and got a reference from the head teacher at my sons' school as I'd done so much there over the years.

pop1973 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:56:54

I can't do this as I have only just moved into the area and children have only just started at the school.

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 11:01:03

You'll just have to explain the situation at interview - it can't be the first time they've heard it. I can't imagine they'll want to take up refs in advance for TA post will they?

pop1973 Fri 19-Sep-08 11:02:50

If I don't put down references for employment they probably won't even call me for interview.

Can only think of putting down an educational reference as I went back to Uni to do my Masters before children and did think of putting down an old friend as a personal ref.

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 11:04:40

Maybe some of the schools where you've worked in the past might have a new head who knows you?

pop1973 Fri 19-Sep-08 11:07:28

The problem was I did a lot of supply work before getting a few long term contracts, and headteachers don't tend to remember one supply from another and 8 years ago is quite a long time ago.

Fortyplus thanks for the advice, I'll try.

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 11:13:43

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now