Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going from 3 days to 4 days a week...anyone care to comment on their experiences?

(5 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Tue 16-Sep-08 13:13:39

I have been made redundant from my 3 day a week job selling IT Services. I have a 2nd interview tomorrow, and unless I completely screw it up and fall on my face in the interviewer's lap I am reasonably confident of being offered the job. But they want 4 days a week...

My boys are only 4 and 2. I am really reluctant to go back 4 days as it seems practically full time to me. If it comes to the crunch I will have to accept, but am going to see if they would consider alternate weeks of 3 and 4 days....

Has anyone else made this choice/had this situation thrust upon them? Did you really notice the extra day of work, or was it much of a muchness? Bonus is that I would be based at home which would soften the blow somewhat I guess...

Bloss

xx

beansprout Tue 16-Sep-08 13:18:36

I did 4 days for a while rather than 3 and sorry, but my experience was that it really tipped the balance and I really felt I was just spending most of my time at work. I was then squeezing lots of domestic stuff into that one day which compounded the feeling that I wasn't doing much with ds1 at all. That said, I had a commute and couldn't work from home, which I'm sure would help.

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 16-Sep-08 13:22:06

thanks BeanSprout. I will have days when I am at clients and in the office etc, but on the whole will be at home, so should be able to keep on top of the domestic stuff. Will be determined to spend all my day off with my boys.

Sunshine78 Tue 16-Sep-08 13:42:12

Best perhaps to have a job and see how it goes if its not working out in the future you may well be able to negociate your hours. Also could the hours you do from home be in an evening when they are in bed (that is when I make my time up) As for domestic stuff make sure jobs are shared if possible!

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 16-Sep-08 14:32:15

agree Sunshine, I'd rather have a job than not, fingers crossed I get offered it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now