Talk

Advanced search

want to return to work but struggling for childcare. any advice?

(9 Posts)
fizzledizzle Mon 15-Sep-08 12:39:09

am currently looking to return to work but am struggling to find childcare for my youngest ds (7yrs) no afterschool club in the village and a distinct lack of childminders with spaces.am i wrong in thinking that school are supposed to be working towards providing wraparound care or am i just very confused as usual!can some knowledgable mners give me any advicesmile

OrmIrian Mon 15-Sep-08 12:42:33

Do you know any parents in your class that could look after your DS after school? If your are thinking of part-time you might be able to return the favour some days.

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest. Have you got a list of registed CMs in your area? Are there any a bit further away that would be prepared to do school pick ups?

Schools are trying to do this but it's not always easy to arrange I suppose.

fizzledizzle Mon 15-Sep-08 12:47:34

i dont really know any of the other mums in the school(terrible i knowgrin)childminders are quite thin on the ground as we are in village and ones in the town near us dont pick up from the village school. lota of the school locally have breakfast and after school clubs but our school doesnt ,worse luck

OrmIrian Mon 15-Sep-08 12:49:49

That is tricky. Can you work school hours only?

I managed by dint of juggling. Years of it! Have finally reached the point where I can go back full-time and DH is doing the school run. But I sympathise. It's very hard.

fizzledizzle Mon 15-Sep-08 12:55:41

trying to get back into the jobs market after 7yrs away is hard enough but i didnt think trying to find decent childcare would be this hard. how nieve was i! the terrible thing is the school my 2 ds used to go to has excellant wrap around provision and has done for years!

mumnosbest Wed 24-Sep-08 17:31:39

Have you tried your local childrens and families info service, should be in the phone book or NCMA (Nat Childminders Association)? You seem to have the opposite problem. I'm a childminder and in S.Yorks there seems to be a lack of children. Good Luck!

mumnosbest Wed 24-Sep-08 17:33:20

Have you tried your local childrens and families info service, should be in the phone book or NCMA (Nat Childminders Association)? You seem to have the opposite problem. I'm a childminder and in S.Yorks there seems to be a lack of children. Good Luck!

nothorney Wed 24-Sep-08 17:35:24

I asked our school this week about wrap around care (North Yorkshire- Village school), they don't HAVE to provide it, but they need to sign post parents towards other providers. Our school is ringing a local nursery that runs an after school club to see if they will do a pick up from our school. Have you tried advertising in the local press ' Wanted Mother's Help a couple of hours after school'. I have had two brillinat part time nanny's by doing this.
Good luck!

chloeb2002 Fri 26-Sep-08 22:22:09

Au pair? thats what we are having to do, well we are getting a nanny, because ds is only 5 months and dd is 6 years (next week). We live over seas so we are thin on the ground for helpers. and im a nurse so work shifts.
Hopefully it will work out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now