Talk

Advanced search

Hi there, ladies, can you please tell me what you think about this business idea?

(15 Posts)
paow Tue 09-Sep-08 15:28:55

HI everyone,
I am thinking about setting up an events company that would organise events mainly for Mums in my area.
Events would be in the evening (probably a Thursday evening for example)
And would include:
-Pampering/make over nights at a local bar serving drinks with dedicated professionals to give advise on make up, clothing, etc.
-Relaxation night, that would include a professional showing different relaxation techniques in a cosy setting, etc.
-Special cinema nights, showing chick flicks with drinks and popcorn included.
-Theatre nights
_Cooking nights, learn how to make sushi, etc.

This is just an idea at the moment, and I was wondering if you could tell me what you think and if you would go to these?
I would have to sell tickets in advance but I don't plan to make events expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Lilymaid Tue 09-Sep-08 15:33:51

Sounds like the sort of thing normally organised by PTAs for the benefit of the school/children rather than for profit.

Barcelonababe Tue 09-Sep-08 15:50:39

Uhm, uhm, I think that it could be lots of fun! But not sure if I would go on my own. Perhaps with girlfriends I knew already>

paow Tue 09-Sep-08 15:56:33

Hi ya, thanks for your replys, forgot to say this would be targeted at Mums with babies and toddlers, as I think they are the ones that may feel the most lonely and bored?

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 09-Sep-08 16:04:22

I'd be unlikely to go to this sort of thing.
-Leaving a baby/toddler before bedtime too difficult
-not really interested in make up/clothes type stuff
-rather do similar thing with friends at pampered chef/virgin vie etc style party at someone's house than with strangers

wannaBe Tue 09-Sep-08 16:07:00

how would you advertise these events? How much would you charge? Have you looked into costs of hiring things like venues, as for a pamper evening it would have to be a decent venue.

Tbh, women wanting to go for a girly night to the cinema would usually go with a group of friends, (IMO), and there are things like virgin vi for pampering as they do make-up and spa parties so these are things people would be more likely to organize from their homes and invite a load of friends over who then would buy the products rather than just having to pay.

hanaflower Tue 09-Sep-08 16:08:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paow Tue 09-Sep-08 16:09:21

Sure, thank you, very interesting replies.

I would probably target the nct and toddler group Mums in my area (there are loads)

I was thinking it would be fun thing to do and the people coming wouldn't have to organise a thing?
But then, I'm just guessing, that's why I'm interested in your replies.

paow Tue 09-Sep-08 16:10:19

Not sure, Here the NCT do so little and when they do it's so packed it's mad, that's why I thought people may be so bored, they just want something to do.

poppy34 Tue 09-Sep-08 16:11:00

why woudl I not organise this myself -what extra would you offer? also in current economic climate its not likely to be a priority for many households with kids in..also how much would you make on each ticket as if they are too much that is going to make them even more difficult to sell.

Don't want to be too negative but just asking as think you'd need to be able to deal with these objections to make this a runner.

good luck smile

poppy34 Tue 09-Sep-08 16:11:57

and tbh don't think its that much hassle to organise -there is usually someone in teh group who'll do it even with kids..

MmeLindt Tue 09-Sep-08 16:13:34

I would like the pampering makeover night if it was not affiliated with a certain brand of makeup adn there was no pressure to buy.

Cooking nights would be good.

I don't know about cinema nights, would it not be easier to just go to the cinema with a group of friends?

It really depends where you live, in an area with lots of incomers who are dying to find new friends it could be quite popular.

tbh, when my DCs were that younger, I would have been delighted to go to something like that during the day, with a creche for the wee ones. By the evening, I was often glad to just flop onto the couch.

wannaBe Tue 09-Sep-08 16:15:32

it may be that the NCT doesn't organize these things because not enough people are interested to make it worth their while.

I might go to a virgin vie/pampered chef/chocoholics party at a friend's house, because it would be a good chance to have a laugh with some friends, but I wouldn't go out for an evening with a random group of strangers/even people I knew vaguely through my toddler group (child is no longer a toddler but ykwim).

onceinalifetime Tue 09-Sep-08 16:17:11

I think I would possibly be interested in this sort of thing if there was a regular schedule of events and it was at the pregnancy/new born stage when you don't really know anyone in the same position.

This might be of interest - home.cupcakemum.com/ - it's a mums and babies members club and spa <<cue multiple eye rolling>>, never been but apparently it is popular and you could do a sort of mobile version of this. Bear in mind this one is based in Wandsworth aka Nappy Valley, which has something like highest number of preschool children in Europe and so they have a very dense catchment area and the area is quite affluent.

Good luck!

MySecretKitchenPhil Sun 26-Oct-08 09:51:17

Hi,

We (ie My Secret Kitchen) would be interested in demonstrating all our great food ingredients and drinks to everyone. Each product has at least five different recipe ideas so it makes for an interesting evening and people learn quite a bit about some foods that they might not have head about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: