Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work and not getting fat(ter) - how?

(14 Posts)
OrangeKnickers Tue 09-Sep-08 10:52:00

Help!

I have gone back to work four days a week. I get up early to I leave at 7am and get back home with ds at about 5.45pm. After he goes to bed at 7pm I am wiped out.

Since I went back to work about 3months ago I have noticed that I am getting fatter round the middle. I got some MBTs and they have helped my thighs and bum stay the same size.

I walk to and from the tube but it's only about 20min a day in total. I can join the gym at work in Nov but I am scared that it will mean I am exhausted.

I do lots of walking on my day off with ds but it's not exectly cardio! I eat healthily and do like a couple of drinks in the evening - which I am trying to cut down on but won't ever manage to cut out.

Does anyone have any tips for losing weight and being a working mum? Would 10mins of exercise dvd make a difference after ds is in bed? I don't want to go on a diet as I want long term changes to my rountine that will mean I can keep to it. My trousers are getting tighter!

This is in this topic as it's the return to work that has caused this - hope that's OK.

Anna8888 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:53:59

I do so agree with you - work is such a killer for putting weight on.

What do you eat for breakfast and lunch? Can you try to just have vegetable soup and fruit for your evening meal?

OrangeKnickers Tue 09-Sep-08 11:29:45

This is the killer - dh loves to cook, and cooks very well BUT although he cooks lots of veggies etc etc, there is lots of fat and lots of meat. We have always had a evening meal togther, and to declare that I only want soup or salad for dinner in the evening would lead to major sulking.

To make up for it at work I have an apple and porridge for breakfast and try to eat a light lunch.

I am going to try to eat smaller portions....but dh's dinners are so yummy. Arrrghhhhhh!

vonsudenfed Tue 09-Sep-08 11:42:47

I have the same problem in that I Love Food - although I'm the cook round here. Am trying the no carbs after 6 (or at least a tiny portion), which seems to work quite well, as it cuts down the calories but still lets me eat nice food and feel full.

Not sure light lunches are the way to go, with me they usually end up in cake at 4pm...

I did, in some previous half-remembered life - go to the gym at lunchtime - although it was at the bottom of our office building, so I did have to pound the treadmill next to my gay bosses and their shared personal trainer, which didn't help.

How about getting some kind of exercise equipment at home? I followed the advice on another thread and have hired a x-trainer for 3 months (so if I end up not using it, it will go away!. Three weeks in, and I am using it 3 or 4 days a week, and even if I just do 15 minutes in the evening, it's better than nothing.

RubySlippers Tue 09-Sep-08 11:57:26

you need protein for lunch or you will be very hungry and the temptation to have a big dinner or snack will be overwhelming

as for dinners - watch your portion size and reduce carbs

also alcohol does not help weight loss - i cut it out for a month and lost 4 lbs

Mine Thu 11-Sep-08 12:41:48

how about doing sit-ups every evening......??
Like you i find it hard to squeeze in any gym time or anything that involves exercise outside of home on a regular basis. I just think its unfair to lumber DS on my mum/sister etc 3/4 evening a week.
So i tend to do stuff at home...... sit-ups whilst watching a programme, listening to music etc or putting on my Davina McCall 30min workout DVD.

It helps, and it better than nothing for me.

OrangeKnickers Thu 11-Sep-08 12:57:16

We had a rower but didn't use it - it was too hard for me. I'd like a treadmill but we don't really have the room. The idea of jiring one tho would be good, then we could see how we live with it.

I am going to cut back on the booze and the carbs.

mine I might be a dvd, do you find that 30mins really makes a difference? I was reading a thread recommending dvd and Davina and something called Tae Bo seemed to be highly praised.

I wonder if I could get out of bed early and do it in the am for 15 mins....

Thanks for the suggestions - food for thought!

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 12:58:24

Are MBT's really that good?

OrmIrian Thu 11-Sep-08 13:01:29

I find I put weight on when I'm at home. I snack which I don't do at work.

Take salad or soup for lunch. Not bread.

Have a good protein rich breakfast.

Allow one little something to eat when you get home but then try to have a moderate amount for your evening meal

Drink water.

Go to the gym. It won't make you more tired, but less. I find exercise if energising. And you will sleep better.

DrNortherner Thu 11-Sep-08 13:03:14

I work 4 days a week and I have to fit in 3 spinning classes a week or I would put on weight.

OrangeKnickers Thu 11-Sep-08 13:41:30

MBTs: I wear mine everywhere - so to and from work. I am sure that my thighs and bum have got smaller and it must be them as I don't do anything else. Usually I would get big all over but I think the MBTs are keeping bum and thighs down. Mind you, I also have a c-section so that might be why i am more flabby round the middle than I used to be.

It used to be that if I got fat then i couldn't get my trousers up my thighs, but now i can get them on, they are just V tight round the waist. They are pre-baby trews.

So I think they are great, I have a white pair but am going to get another pair for winter.

AND I just did loads of walking with dh - 12 miles a day. In my waking shoes my feet killed but in the MBTs they were much better.

ps - I am not on commission grin

OrangeKnickers Thu 11-Sep-08 13:42:26

walking shoes! lol

Megglevache Thu 11-Sep-08 14:05:12

I read it as wanking shoes. Ooerr.

anniemac Thu 11-Sep-08 14:33:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now