Talk

Advanced search

Better to spend time with baby in morning or late afternoon??

(10 Posts)
hopperdee Sat 06-Sep-08 21:29:23

I might be going back to work soon and I will be able to have flexible hours within reason. This new place is really near me so I'll be able to get to and from home pretty quickly. I just wondered, from experience, is it better to work 8-4 and pick up dd and see her for a few hours before bed, or do a later shift, say 10-6 and spend longer with her in the morning? I'd probaby mix it up a little bit and I'm leaning towards having more time after work as I used to hate getting home late before I had a baby.
Did any of you try these hours and which did you find suited your baby best? Working full time is not ideal but I'm going to have to do it for a while if I can, my partner has lost his job and it looks like it's going to be easier for me to find a better job more quicky and we're broke! We have to change mortgage soon and we don't want to lose our flat!

poppy34 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:32:00

cant really help but you're probably likely to know your dd best - is she a morning or evening child as if its about getting quality time . Also how long do you have to spend getting into work/how fixed are your hours?

just thinking if you opted for the coming home to see her you might be adding stress to what already sounds like something you're not keen on if you were late getting out due to commmute/pressure of work in which case morning route might be better.

nell12 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:33:00

I suppose it all depends on dd's character... is she a morning or afternoon person?

I work 8 - 4 and enjoyed the best of both worlds when dd was small; the first feed of the day and then being able to give her her tea and bath and put her to bed at the end of the day.

cmotdibbler Sat 06-Sep-08 21:36:17

Def do 8-4 - you'd just stay in bed longer in the morning and spend more time on breakfast etc, wheras if you start earlier you'll be up and sorted, and then have time after work to relax, maybe go to the park with her for a bit, pop to the shops, all that sort of thing - also have a bit more time to get tea ready so you can all eat together

Curlylox Sat 06-Sep-08 21:36:19

Sorry to hear your news. But I would prefer to do the 8-4 and be home earlier. Thinking ahead of next "summer" the light evenings etc Also if you are anythng like me you probably wouldn't make best use of the time in the morning....

bethdivine Sat 06-Sep-08 21:39:44

agree with the 8-4, you probably wouldn't get much out of your morning if you went for the later shift, but once you're home from work on the earlier hours, that's it you're home.

MrsMopple Sat 06-Sep-08 21:41:29

My ds has been in nursery since 9 months (now 3 years) When we go in late because of dr's appts etc, he is always difficult to leave and is upset, whereas in the morning he actually runs to the door and leaps over the threshold! SO I would go for 8 to 4.

hopperdee Sat 06-Sep-08 21:55:41

I'm pleased that most of you seem to think 8-4 is sensible. If I drove to work, it would prob only take about 15mins to get there or home. Like Curlylox, I am pretty rubbish in the mornings and when I used to work late (and get home past 7) I hated the fact that if you needed to go to the shops, you had to brave the masses at the weekend. Ds has been going to nursery one day a week for a while and she seems really happy getting out the door early and can be a bit grumpy in the morning if we are having a lazy breakfast. Thanks! Any more comments or opposite opinions welcome. I'd prob start with 3 days 8-4 and the other 2 slightly later just to see how that balances.

hopperdee Sat 06-Sep-08 21:56:34

also - my daughter is 17mths old

cat64 Sat 06-Sep-08 22:00:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now