Talk

Advanced search

I think I may have gone slightly mad.........

(7 Posts)
FAQ Wed 03-Sep-08 00:10:11

don't really intend on trying to get any work until DS3 starts nursery in 2010 however I still do browse the JobCentre website in case anything catches my eye.....

And tonight something has.

CLASSROOM ASSISTANT LEP 32.5hrs a week at the Junior school in town which caters solely for children with SN.

I know that it's a fantastic little school (and also happen to be good friends with the headteacher and her DH blush - but that's beside the point).

The last classroom assistant work I did was 10yrs ago (in an International School - so totally different from this) I have no experience of LEP and apart from a 6 month stint on my gap year (nearly 11yrs ago) working in a school/home for children with SN (which I absolutely adored doing) I have no other experience - except at the other end of the age group working with elderly people with dementia.

I'm totally barking to be even considering applying for it aren't I??

Overmydeadbody Wed 03-Sep-08 00:11:37

nope, not barking, go for it.

No harm in applying anyway right?

bossfrombumsnet Wed 03-Sep-08 00:12:17

no not barking, go for it you will regret it if you don't, life is too short for regrets

FAQ Wed 03-Sep-08 00:14:57

No there's no harm in applying I suppose - although I'm struggling to think what I would put down as my experience - closest I've got to LEP is with the childre at the home in Zimbabwe some of who didn't speak English (that was fun trying to lip read/following sign language in a foreign language grin) at all.

FAQ Wed 03-Sep-08 00:17:48

see the odd thing is with this - I've still been umming and ahhing about what sort of work to do when I return to work - keep browsing the local college courses to see if I spot anything that really grabs me and just the other night was looking at the BSL course (too late to start this year unfortunately) - and then this suddenly appears and I've been thinking about it all evening......

Think this may be the direction I'd like to go in (keep getting drawn to this sort of thing)....

JHKE Wed 03-Sep-08 09:26:18

If this is something you want to do, I would go for it. You have nothing to lose and if you don't get it, turn it into a positive and ask for feedback, find out what you would need to do to get into a role like that and you can prepare for it over the next few years if you wish. Maybe even ask if you can volunteer for a few hours a week to gain the experience.

I have applied for a job that I have no experience in although I can apply my personal life to this but it is one I would love to do. Not sure I will get it due to childcare issues and lack of experience but I think either way I will use the experience and find out what I need to do ready for if a similar job comes up in future.

FAQ Wed 03-Sep-08 09:34:20

actually I had a re-think over night - and decided that probably isn't the best thing for me at the moment - the hours are much longer than I intend to do when I return to work - my DS's are still adjusting to H and I splitting up, DS2 is starting school for the first time, and DS1 has just gone up to Junior schoool, so being thrust into breakfast and after school clubs isn't really going to be fair on them right now.

It would also affect one or two things I do in relation to my Church Organist duties.......so I've had a rethink and am going to do some study first and then maybe keep my eye out for a job along those lines with less hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now