Talk

Advanced search

Is this too much?

(7 Posts)
BadgerQueen Tue 02-Sep-08 16:51:15

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about returning to work. My ideal is as follows: Take the year off (which we can't afford) and go back 3 days, but one of those at home. Does that sound unreasonable? I know its not great from my boss's pov, but part of the reason is that if I go in 3 days I end up bringing home about £40 after childcare, travel etc etc, and I am about 4x more effective at home. Could have done loads if they had let me work at home during pregnancy (was very sick) but as an institution they are not v keen.

What do you think? Is the w/l balance wrong?

OneLieIn Tue 02-Sep-08 16:53:28

I don't think anyone can tell you whether it is right or wrong, only you can figure it out. Your reasons sound really good nad if you can explain those to your boss it might work out for you.

Are they not keen on homeworking ggenerally? Does anyone else WFH? What about other returners?

BadgerQueen Tue 02-Sep-08 17:16:24

Well my boss works from home at least a day a week, lots more in school hols, but the management seem to think i will be taking the mickey if i do it - n ot that they have ever said so & they have no reason to suspect this - I think its a control issue for them and my boss "likes me to be in" so that he doesn't have to be(?). Now I think about it I have only ever heard about the management attitude via my boss, so maybe they would be more accommodating than I think?

Really I don't want to go back at all, but its a good job and I can't think of a financially secure alternative.

pinkdelight Fri 05-Sep-08 10:16:05

Am I right in thinking that you're planning to look after the baby yourself on the day you work from home? I'm just inferring that from the way you save it'll cost more for childcare if you go into work for 3 days. You may be much more effective than me, but there's no way I can get a day's work done with ds (11 months) around. I can get an hour or so done during his naps but the older he gets, the more attention he needs so childcare is still essential even if I'm working at home. I think bosses expect you to have childcare too if you're meant to be working at home. The only solution I guess is if the work to be done at home can be spread across the week - evenings, weekends etc. Is this possible?

anniemac Fri 05-Sep-08 10:30:42

Message withdrawn

findtheriver Fri 05-Sep-08 20:34:00

Agree with pinkdelight and anniemac. Flexible working arrangements are not intended to save the employee money or just make their life easier. Your proposal needs to ensure that the company and not just you, is benefiting from the arrangement.

findtheriver Fri 05-Sep-08 20:36:09

Agree with pinkdelight and anniemac. Flexible working arrangements are not intended to save the employee money or just make their life easier. Your proposal needs to ensure that the company and not just you, is benefiting from the arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now