Talk

Advanced search

Career change - but which career?

(5 Posts)
ThrillsNPills Thu 28-Aug-08 16:34:26

Hi there. Hoping some of you may be able to advise.
I have been a SAHM (with some periods of freelance work) for the past 4 years and will continue with this until next September, when my youngest will go to nursery. Previously, I was a senior journalist for a large broadcaster.

I had started to lose my drive and passion for the job (and, in fact, the whole area of work) not long before my first child was born. It completely disappeared after his birth, and I resigned after my maternity leave ended.

While I was still at work I did a lot of work with young people - training, running workshops, setting up work experience and work shadowing etc. This was mainly with young people at risk of exclusion / at risk of offending. Since I left my job, I have dabbled in freelance work as a teacher with young people from 'difficult' educational backgrounds. I have got quite interested in the whole youth justice area as a result. I have also really enjoyed the teaching and contact with young people.

I know that this broad area - working with or on behalf of young people - is where I would like to pursue a career, starting from next autumn. However, I am confused about which path to take.

I had initially thought about continuing with teaching young adults. I liked teaching, but in order to pursue this long term, I would have to sit my Maths GCSE (argh! never got it first time around, although have A's in English and a good degree) and obviously I would have to commit to a full time PGCE (could we manage financially with two children in childcare and me not earning anything?). Also worried that I may find teaching tough with two small children.

Other areas I am interested in: Social work, youth work, youth justice. All involve retraining, substantial time / money commitments. None are easy options! But all seem really interesting.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I should go about making a decision and formulating a plan?!

purpleduck Thu 28-Aug-08 16:50:28

What is it you like about Youth Work..?
Which parts specifically did you enjoy? Try to break it down.

Look back at other things you have done...what parts of it did you like...what didn't you like?

Is there a pattern?

Can you volunteer at a Youth Foyer or something to get a bit of experience

Sometimes if you don't know what you DO want to do, sit down and work out what you WOULDN'T want to do...

Whizzz Thu 28-Aug-08 16:59:49

Can I just ask what sort of freelance teaching you did?
How about a learning mentor in a secondary school - its something I thought of doing (I'm a TA in secondary at the mo)

purpleduck Thu 28-Aug-08 17:03:46

part time pgce?

TarkaLiotta Mon 01-Sep-08 14:23:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now