Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone an air traffic contoller? Or anyone's DH? Thinking of applying

(4 Posts)
careerchange Tue 26-Aug-08 20:31:32

I'm a trained primary teacher but am seriously attracted to this as a career change. I am aware that it seems a pretty extreme career change and want to be careful I find out as much as poss before applying. Has anyone trained at the Bournemouth centre? What were the hrs like? Do you really have to be prepared to work anywhere in the UK? How likely would I be to get p-t work straight away after the training at Bournemouth? Any advice really appreciated

Squiz Fri 05-Sep-08 21:39:31

My partner is a controller - well he was now he's working as an instructor at the college in Bournemouth. He's away this weekend so I'll get some more info next week and let you know more details. I know he works 8.15-4.15 so guess the students work similar hours. There are no huge holidays like other students get. Not sure how old you are but students used to have to be 26 or under unless worked in the industry. You can request where you get posted but not guaranteed. I haven't heard of any part time controllers - but that doesn't mean there aren't any, it's just difficult with shifts etc.

southeastastra Fri 05-Sep-08 21:42:22

is it like pushing tin squiz

Squiz Thu 11-Sep-08 11:08:37

Finally remembered to check with him about controlling. There is no age limit anymore (wondered how they would get away with that nowadays) due to age discrimination laws. There could be opportunity to work part time once you are valid i.e. have completed your training at the college and then wherever you are posted. If you want please email and I can get him to reply with more details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now