Talk

Advanced search

What's the etiquette re: dental/dr appts when working part time?

(10 Posts)
oysterpots Thu 21-Aug-08 11:48:28

When I worked full-time I had no qualms about taking time out of my work day to go to the dr, dentist or hairdresser, but now that I'm working 3 days a week I'm not sure what is the 'done thing'...?

I suppose the problem is that if I did these things the days I'm not working I'd have to find additional childcare and wouldn't be looking after my ds, which, strictly speaking, is the reason I don't work full time anymore and am therefore legally entitled to have requested my flexible working on that basis! Help! What does everyone else do? Thanks.

LIZS Thu 21-Aug-08 11:54:19

Difficult one . I try to arrange them during my day off or afterward hours but the hygienists, for example, don't do that day so I have to take the time off (usually a first thing appointment if possible) and make it up.

Umlellala Thu 21-Aug-08 12:03:43

I would arrange on days 'off' (do you ever get days off with dc?!) especially hairdresser (!) BUT if an emergency/important then try to arrange end of day and leave early. Obviously, hospital appts you can't pick and choose.

You just have to take ds with you if you have to. Lots of us do.

flowerybeanbag Thu 21-Aug-08 15:46:42

You would take time out of work for a hairdresser appointment? Blimey!

Etiquette is you do it during your days off if at all possible. Easier to work medical appointments round looking after DC than around a work day, and courteous to your employer.

hercules1 Thu 21-Aug-08 15:48:14

WHen I worked part time I always took appointments on my days off. I've never heard of taking time off work for a hair cut!

GrapeJelly Thu 21-Aug-08 17:33:27

I think part time workers are expected to book dental/doctor/etc appointments on their days off and make their own child care arrangements. Full timers are expected to book hairdressing appointments on Saturdays or late nights. You'll be unpopular at work with the full timers if you ask for this sort of time off.

pointydog Thu 21-Aug-08 17:50:53

Do it on your days off.

I'd get a friend to watch the dds for the odd dr or dentist appointment. I have also taken them with me from about age 4.

ANd no one should go to the hairdressers in work time!

SqueakyPop Thu 21-Aug-08 17:56:50

Anything routine - smear tests, dental checkups and hair appts - should be during your days off or holiday. Obviously urgent treatment is another matter.

When I had little ones and no help, I would take them with me to whereever. In fact, taking a toddler to your dental appointments gets them used to the chair, routines etc.

gagarin Thu 21-Aug-08 18:01:40

Hairdressers appointments during working day when working fulltime shock? What are weekends for?

What sort of industry do you work in - can we all come?!

ChasingSquirrels Thu 21-Aug-08 20:12:41

I do them on my days off (well afternoons as I work mornings).
I take the children with me to doc's and dentists (have a family dentist appt).
am shock at taking time off to go to the hairdressers.
Obviously emergency appts and hospital appts which are just given to you are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now