Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

oh dear, back to work tomorrow

(12 Posts)
isitreallythattime Wed 20-Aug-08 20:07:09

Can i have some words of wisdom in how i will get through my first day back after a year off. I have been very fortunate to have a year off i know but can't help but feel i'm not ready to go back. I wont be able to do anything, can't remeber anything. Help reassure me. Please......

EffiePerine Wed 20-Aug-08 20:09:33

get everything ready tonight

plan something nice to do for your first day - maybe lunch out somewhere? Ideally something difficult to do with a baby (thought that includes having a cuppa or going to the loo in peace grin).

going back is daunting, but you may find it easier than you expect

PuppyMonkey Wed 20-Aug-08 20:12:32

You will be great. No-one will expect you to be straight up to speed your first day back (i'm still not after nine months back at my job wink). Just catch your breath and enjoy the adult company!!!

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 20:20:54

Deep bretah - you will be fine.ease in slowly i had forgotten all telephone ext no's.stood in front of phone blankly thinking now what is that number...

dont punish yourself.
spend a week getting re-orientated
read any departmental change/staff changes
familiarise self polices/protocols
cheek with IT all your emails etc still work
do you have any statutory or return to work type training
lunch with colleagys
spend time with colleagues, cups of tea catch up

maybe take some cakes etc in for everyone, nive traet everyone likes a treat

remember you have existing skills that are enduring , you don't lose them.just need to get familiarised into swing of it all again

few months and you wont recall being off

good luck

isitreallythattime Wed 20-Aug-08 20:29:01

Thanks you guys, think it feels like the un-known, even though i've worked there for five years. Crazy huh! I hope i sleep well tonight, had nightmares about it last few nights. Will try to remain positive....

stepfordwife Wed 20-Aug-08 20:35:03

oh, it's daunting, isn't it? i had a year off after dd and was convinced i wouldn't even know how to turn the computer on when i got back to work..

as already said, people won't expect loads at first.
wear something nice
and, biggest tip, if you don't feel confident, fake it.grin
you'll probably find you quickly slip into work mode and enjoy feeling like the 'old you".
within days, will feel like you've never been away.
good luck!

PuppyMonkey Wed 20-Aug-08 20:35:47

Nice milky drink and an early night for you my dear. I might even let you have a biccie. Good luck!

scottishmummy Thu 21-Aug-08 21:56:29

so how did it go?

isitreallythattime Fri 22-Aug-08 19:20:54

I felt sick and shakey in the morning, and when i got there i felt completely allien to it all, but, after a couple of hours i felt fine. In fact after a cuppa and piece of cake i was really enjoying it. Today other than everything changeing in my dept, i didn'[t feel like i'd been away! Funny isn't it how the unexpected always seems so bad, when really reality is that everything works out fine. grin

scottishmummy Fri 22-Aug-08 19:40:45

not so bad eh.cake and a blether (and some work obviously)

stepfordwife Sat 23-Aug-08 10:07:08

glad it went ok smile

Greatfun Sat 23-Aug-08 13:14:04

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now