Talk

Advanced search

I have a job interview, Please help, I must get this job!

(10 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 19-Aug-08 13:20:21

I need to be told what to do, as clearly my usual technique is failing as I haven't found work in 18 months.

The job is for Care Assistant, a job most people can do, and due to the hours will have been HEAVILY applied for. I am lucky enough to have experience and training for this, but still. The competition will be fierce. It's school hours.

I need advice on how to dress, how to present myself, and how to act, what questions to expect and how to field them. Fly, my pretties!

IllegallyBrunette Tue 19-Aug-08 13:23:00

Well I have no good advice about interviews but was just going to say that if you need new clothes for the interview you can get a grant from the job centre.

I got one as I apart from a black pair of trousers I had nothing suitable at all. My LP advisor also printed off some info on interview tips for me.

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Tue 19-Aug-08 13:23:37

dress - clean tidy, respectable
present - pleasant, confident capable
questions - if you can't think of any answer straight aawy take a sip of water (you should be offered some water) and think clearly. do not be afraid to ask for clarification. do not be afraid to no know something.

make eye contact and speak to the interveiwers not your feet. ask questions.

relax and good luck

IllegallyBrunette Tue 19-Aug-08 13:24:01

Oh in the end I wore, black trousers, blouse, black jacket and black shoes.

Pretty boring but I think it is more or less standard interview stuff.

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 19-Aug-08 13:43:51

thanks IB and Goat.

Black trousers and black shoes I can do. I have a black pinstripe jacket, but no matching trousers - would it be ok to put a pinstripe jacket with a plain trouser? And What colour top would be good - I have reddish brown hair, pinky skin and blue eyes (think freckly looking bbut a bit tanned) but I am a size 16 so pastels are not my friend.

tiredemma Tue 19-Aug-08 14:36:55

Is it a private home?

For my interview at the care home that I work I wore black trousers and plain white shirt.

Stress how important you feel it is to deliver individualised care to the residents etc.

(im trying to recall what questions I was asked)

Tortington Tue 19-Aug-08 14:48:20

so mrs german prison.

why do you want this job?

RubySlippers Tue 19-Aug-08 14:51:49

emphasise things you have done well in previous jobs

what you will add to the role ... ie you would go the extra mile

you are flexible, hard working and empathetic

highlight relevant qualifications and training

even if you have been out of work for a while say if you have been keeping up to date with things (have a look at CSCI website for relevant info

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 19-Aug-08 15:18:42

It's a local authority day centre. No shift work, no weekends. So the competition will be fierce.

I applied for the job because it meets every criteria I have been looking for in a job - first and foremost, it's elderly care, which has been my vocation since I was nineteen. It's important to me to have a job where I feel I can make a difference in someone's life. Secondly, the hours are a big pull to me, as my only difficulty with working as a carer was the shift work required. I have long been used to being flexible, and from a standpoint of regular hours with flexibility when needed, I feel I can provide everything you want in an employee.

lou031205 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:30:24

Ok, personally (I am a Registered Nurse) I would say a suit is well over-dressed. Trousers, nice blouse, black shoes is plenty.

You need to come across as friendly, approachable, and able to listen. This will give the impression you can take direction well.

You can do this by waiting about 15-30 seconds before answering any question, even if you know the exact answer you want to give. Make sure you are answering their question, not the question you wished they had asked.

Emphasise qualities such as reliable, flexible, personable, willing to train/ learn additional skills. Love to work with the older generation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now