Talk

Advanced search

Childminder first, nursery later?

(8 Posts)
lucysnowe Mon 11-Aug-08 09:56:23

Hi all

Sorry in advance for sounding really ignorant and PFB-ish!

I go back to work in December and have almost decided to leave my DD with a childminder as I've found a very nice one and all the good nurseries are booked up. But I was thinking that later on when's she's older I can transfer her to a nursery. Is this ok or would it be a bit traumatic? If it's ok what would be the best age to do it?

Also - has anyone gone back to work, decided they can't hack it, and gone back to being a SAHM after their child has been in daycare for three months? tbh this is something I'm considering, partly to get out of paying back maternity costs, but maybe its a bit selfish to change things for my dd just when she's settled in.

What do you think?

Thanks!

MrsBates Mon 11-Aug-08 10:00:37

Children are so adaptable. Think smaller groups are better for young children so would go with a childminder over a nursery anyway. And if the change is going back to being at home with you I can't imagine any real problems so long as you're happy with the situation and household is all behind this. Not sure your employer would be that delighted with the scheme but do what you have to do! I would.

ellideb Mon 11-Aug-08 10:05:38

Why would you want to change to a nursery later on anyway? What would be wrong with staying with the Childminder, especially if she is a good one like you say?

As for the paying back maternity costs, I would probably be considering the same thing as you and no I wouldn't feel bad about it, you will have honoured your contract, given it a go and changed your mind, nothing wrong in that.

Jelliebaby Mon 11-Aug-08 10:10:05

I put my DD with a child minder for two days and she goes to a nursery for two days. That way she gets experience of both environments. She was 5 months when I did this and settled into both really well.

When she was 2 I left my job to be a SAHM and took her out of nursery and childminders.
I lasted 3 months and decided it wasn't for me. I didn't realise how much hard work was involved in entertaining a child all day every day and i missed the social side of work.

I decided to get another job but my childminder and nursery had no spaces so I had to use a new childminder and a new nursery. DD settled well into both (the nursery a bit better)I think it was me that found it harder tbh

lucysnowe Mon 11-Aug-08 12:26:23

Ta for the replies! ellideb I've been doing lots of nursery visits recently and am a bit brainwashed probably with all the talk of heuristic leaning and the birth-to-eight or whatever it is. grin Some of them have been lovely tho and it would be a bit more sociable for my DD.

Still have to work out things with my employer - would be a bit rich probably I think to work out a part time thing (which would involve recruiting another part-timer) and bowing out after three months - but it would be nice to have that option.

LoveMyGirls Mon 11-Aug-08 12:29:54

Childminders do the "heuristic leaning and the birth-to-eight" (EYFS from september) too smile

I think cm is better for younger children and nursery better for older children personally.

Start with a cm'er and decide about nursery later.

CeciC Tue 12-Aug-08 20:26:30

Hi lucysnowe,
I had a CM for my two DDs. From the age of 3 they both went to a pre-school. The CM would take them and pick them up, as it is just for 3 hours a day. May be this could be a choice. It certainly worked for my DDs, well still does as my youngest will start school sept'09, so another year of CM and pre-school

lucysnowe Wed 13-Aug-08 14:51:52

Thanks!

^I think cm is better for younger children and nursery better for older children personally.^

Yes I think so too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now