Talk

Advanced search

Returning after maternity leave and given notice??

(9 Posts)
fallingdown Mon 04-Aug-08 10:13:57

Hoping someone can help me. I am shortly due back to my part time job after mat leave. Last week I received a letter basically saying that I had 8 weeks to complete some work that is needed and then that will be the end of my contract. I am to view the 8 weeks as notice of end of contract but that there may then be some freelance opportunities?

Is there anything I can do about this?

fallingdown Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:55

bumping in hope of some advice!

NorthernLurker Mon 04-Aug-08 12:44:43

How rotten for you! What sort of contract did you have in the first place? I think you should repost this in 'employment' - lots of well informed people over there!

witchandchips Mon 04-Aug-08 12:53:03

They can't end the contract unless they are making you redundant and if yours is the only job that is going they need to be able to show that you have not been discrimniated against. Are there other job lossess at your firm?

fallingdown Mon 04-Aug-08 13:54:05

thanks

no other job losses to my knowledge. My contract was for 16hrs a week - any extra hours done at same rate if they had the work. It was a permanent contract.

Not sure what to do really....sad

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 13:55:48

How long had you been there?

lou031205 Mon 04-Aug-08 14:02:45

Post this in employment - Flowery might see it.

NorthernLurker Mon 04-Aug-08 15:03:53

well if it was a permanent contract then they are trying to make you redundant - and if they are going to do that then they will have to do it properly as another poster has said. Did you repost in employment? You need Flowerybeanbag!!

fallingdown Mon 04-Aug-08 15:29:09

I have been there 3 years........will re-post in employment. Thanks for the help and support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now