Talk

Advanced search

How recent does "recent or current experience" mean?

(5 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 25-Jul-08 23:04:42

If I have not had any experience in the last three years, is there any point in applying for the job?

Blondilocks Fri 25-Jul-08 23:06:27

I'm not sure. Some companies seem to stick to what they say on the adverts but others seem to bend them a bit if they like other aspects.

I guess there's no harm in applying?

LynetteScavo Fri 25-Jul-08 23:11:30

I'm not sure I actully want the job (a bitch of a commute) and it's in lecturing, which I've never done before (ad says that's OK, lol), but am qualified in every other aspect.

RuthT Fri 25-Jul-08 23:12:06

Depends what the job is and if they need someone to hit the ground running. Normally say recent experience because people apply who did the same work 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.

If you have been off work looking for kids I would say it is your most recent experience (work wise) that you would use. If that fits thier add then apply.

PS you can also use what you have done whilst off as examples if appropriate

HappyNewMum2Be Mon 28-Jul-08 10:17:27

It may be worth considering if they are referring to technical expertise, as RuthT says. Someone IT based, who hasn't worked in a field for more than a year, could quite easily be seen as out of touch.

If you have had a gap, it could be to your advantage to show how you have continued to develop, if you are a member of a professional body for example, showing your CPD log. This is quite common in HR, Accountancy and other chartered style proefessions, to retain membership.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now