Talk

Advanced search

any occupational therapists on here willing to tell me more about their job?

(4 Posts)
geekgirl Fri 25-Jul-08 15:35:31

Am considering doing a postgrad conversion course to become an OT and I was wondering what the daily working conditions are like, job prospects etc., as well as compatibility with family life.
The OTs I've met through dd2 are fab and seem to enjoy their work. Just wondering if anyone on MN can tell me more about it all...

MsHighwater Fri 25-Jul-08 15:55:13

I'm an OT and, naturally, am also fab grin.

I work for my local authority housing department (sort of jointly with social work). I have worked job-share since dd was born.

In my field, prospects for advancing are a bit limited inasmuch as, once you reach a certain point, you will probably only advance by going into management and, thus, away from professional practice. Which is fine if that's what you want. This is probably true to some extent in most areas of work though it varies. That said there have been recent changes to increase the options for those who want to continue to practice but at a higher level.

On the whole, I think working conditions and prospects are reasonably good as professions go. As for compatibility with family life, I think it's pretty good. As with other professions where the members are predominantly female, there is a good deal of flexibility from most employers whether NHS or local government. There are also increasing prospects for private practice and locum-ing.

Try the BAOT website www.baot.org.uk/public/otasacareer/intro/intro.php if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

geekgirl Fri 25-Jul-08 19:01:08

Thank you MsHighwater

I'm not particularly looking for a high-flying career, just a good solid, inspiring and varied profession with decent employment prospects really.

After the hols I'll ring the hospital adult OT people and ask if I could possibly come in for a day or two to see what it's like - I feel like I have a pretty good idea what paed OT is like, but don't know anything about adult provision.

MsHighwater Fri 25-Jul-08 19:26:26

Although, at the end of the day, it is a job and, as such, has its downs as well as its ups, I still (after 20 years) find it quite satisfying being an OT.

I get involved with someone who is finding daily life difficult because of a disability(rehousing, assistive equipment and adaptations being my principal tools) and afterwards, in most cases, that person's life is easier to at least some extent. How much of that is down to me varies depending on the circumstances but it's still gratifying to see it especially because it's tangible. I can drive around the area where I work and see ramps, extensions, handrails that I recommended for someone that made their life easier or made them more independent. It's a good feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now