Talk

Advanced search

my manager says if I want child friendly hours I have to rewrite the rota

(2 Posts)
jimblejambles Fri 25-Jul-08 12:55:17

I am sure he has done this so I won't apply and because I am going to "cause problems" expressing milk at work.
He has already told me that if they turn down my request I will lose the hours I had for ds1.
I asked to reduce my hours which is fine as they are looking to reduce costs in the area I work in. But as hard as I try I can not get the rota to work.
I know the miserable mare I work with is going to complain whatever I do too.
And having just read the application it needs to be handed in 28 days ahead of any changes taking place and I go back in 3 weeks.
He is such a nob I went in 8 weeks ago to sort all this out and they have done nothing til yesterday.
No need to reply feel better just venting on here

HappyNewMum2Be Fri 25-Jul-08 13:25:30

"He has already told me that if they turn down my request I will lose the hours I had for ds1."

They can't do this. This was an agreement between you to effectively change your contract. They can't go back on it.

Also, regards the expressing at work - this is from a random website quoting eu directives:

EU guidelines mean that your employer must make provisions at work if you want to breastfeed. Working Families explains

All employers have a legal duty to make provisions for breastfeeding mothers:
* rest facilities
* protection from health and safety risks. This could include being expected to work hours which affect breastfeeding.

If you need to work different hours due to childcare responsibilities or you want to continue breastfeeding, your employer has a duty to consider your request seriously. If your employer refuses your request without a good business reason, you may have a claim for indirect sex discrimination and should seek further advice.

An employer must provide adequate rest, meal and refreshment breaks for women who have given birth in the last six months and women who are breastfeeding

Employers are obliged by law to provide 'suitable facilities' for a breastfeeding mother to 'rest'. Recent guidelines from the European Commission recommend that rest facilities should include access to a private room, provision of a clean fridge to store milk, and time off to express milk or to breastfeed.

These guidelines don't have statutory force but should persuade, or at the very least encourage, employers and Employment Tribunals to apply the law in a way that supports breastfeeding at work.

You must notify your employer in writing that you intend to breastfeed at work so that an assessment can be carried out to determine if your working conditions pose a risk to your health or that of your baby.

Scientific evidence shows that a baby's health can suffer if it is not breastfed. If your working conditions stop you from breastfeeding, your employer should take steps to accommodate your needs by temporarily changing your working conditions or hours of work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now