Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Applying for flexible working part-time - any tips?

(9 Posts)
MrsJamin Tue 22-Jul-08 16:11:54

It's a bit daunting all this, but I'm filling the form in, are there any tips anyone has for how you persuaded your employer that you could go part-time? What kinds of things did you focus on? For e.g. did you make lots of claims of what you could do to be v organised and flexible if necessary, or should that be negotiated later? Finding it difficult 'selling' the idea to them...

notwavingjustironing Tue 22-Jul-08 16:13:39

I take it you already have a job. Are they keen for you to work part time or are they just going through the motions allowing you to apply? Has anyone else set a precedent?

MrsJamin Tue 22-Jul-08 18:44:35

I already have a job, yes, I'm on maternity leave now. I doubt they are keen for me to work part-time so they would probably need some convincing that it would work. I don't know anyone of a similar grade who has set a precedent. Basically if they can't agree though, I won't go back, so I have a pretty strong negotiating position.

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 18:51:13

I suggest sounding them out informally first. Do you have a set idea of hours etc or do you just want less hours in some shape or form?

I sold my idea by suggesting that as the business was growing that they could keep a FT and have me back PT as additional resource. I basically said anything around 20 hrs would be good. My Boss then said yes we have the budget what days etc do you want? So I actually got exactly what I wanted! I knew it would be approved before I put in my application.

Remember you are only entitled to 1 application in 12m so make sure it is your best effort smile

MrsJamin Tue 22-Jul-08 18:59:44

that sounds like a good idea, thanks cmoc, it's true there's a few ambiguities in what I want, also I haven't worked out whether this working pattern would work with having a childminder. Did you just have an informal chat about it first?

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 21:16:46

Just know what you really want what will suit Childcare etc. Then pitch slightly higher so you can negotiate grin

I also suggest chatting to a few Childminders and Nurseries to see what the patterns are like and fees! It worked out better for us to go with a Nursery as I was not Happy with the CM I could find willing to take DD PT. A good choice for us in hindsight although at the time I did worry.

You can use childcare as a negotiating point. e.g I always leave dead on time, everyone knows it and it is very unlike the old me. No over running meetings etc or they charge me lots of money at Nursery which work would get the bill for! In exchange I sometimes finish things off at home - at least I am at home!

melrose Tue 22-Jul-08 21:22:34

Think about how it will affect them and the business and try to answerthose queries rather than writing it all from your perspective. For example, as a manager I suggested that my staff could have a rota to deputise for me on my day off to give them an insight into the managers' role for their own progression. Obviously that never happened but it sounded good on paper! They liked the fact I had considered the impact my not being there one dsay a week would have on business

peachsmuggler Sun 03-Aug-08 12:58:08

I may be wrong about this, but I thought the onus was on them to prove that there was a good reason you could NOT work part time, rather than you having to prove that you could make it work???

findtheriver Sun 03-Aug-08 13:31:11

Agree with melrose. You need to try to step into their shoes. What will the impact be on the employer and your colleagues? How can you turn any disadvantages into a positive (or at least a perceived positive?!)In my line of work, the biggest impact is usually on other employees, and obviously they have a right to not be affected by someone else going part time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now