Talk

Advanced search

whats best to ask for from an employers point of view- 2.5 days or 4 days?

(17 Posts)
Christiansmum Sun 20-Jul-08 23:17:00

I'm in discussion with work about going back. Have requested part time work and been told can't have my old job back but offered 2 temp part time positions at different locations which aren't convienient for me. Been advised by HR to consider asking for 2.5 days or 4 days as they are easier to cover than the 3 I had originally requested. Need to argue my case and how my flexible working will affect work and colleagues. Anyone got any advice on whats best to ask for and how to argue my case?
thanks

llareggub Sun 20-Jul-08 23:24:33

Think about how your job can be done in less time. In my case, I work on projects and need to be contactable by clients. So I check my emails every day, whether it is a working day or not, and am flexible about my hours so that I can attend urgent meetings. I don't work fixed days, and arrange my working time to suit work.

Who will do your job when you're not there? Does it matter? How easy it is to recruit and train someone to do the rest of your job?

I'm not particularly convinced by the argument that it is easier for cover to be found if you work 4 or 2.5 days.

Think about how your job could be split. For example, I know a manager who requested part-time working when she returned from maternity leave and she now job-shares. They have pretty much split the job in two based on their strengths and weaknesses. They overlap for half a day a week.

Why can't you go back to your old job? Why are these other jobs temporary? Tell me more about that....

PeaMcLean Sun 20-Jul-08 23:30:21

Can't quite imagine why 2.5 or 4 are easier to cover than 3, Unless they've got someone lined up who could do the other 2.5 or 1, if that makes sense.

What would you prefer to do? Does it have to be 3 or could you do the others they mention?

gigglewitch Sun 20-Jul-08 23:30:35

also hmm at the 2.5 or 4 days theories!!!
Have you had extended mat leave? (If you have had the "ordinary" mat leave, then you are entitled to your old post back)
Assuming you've had extended leave, Anything that they offer has to be on an equivalent grade with similar responsibilities to the post that you left.
Can throw you some clues about how to make a flexible working application convincing, if that would help? The whole thing sounds a tad dodgy to me though [sorry]

pinkteddy Sun 20-Jul-08 23:32:36

some useful information here about making a case for flexible working

gigglewitch Sun 20-Jul-08 23:32:37

BTW, take a look here to get an idea of your rights wink

gigglewitch Sun 20-Jul-08 23:33:23

cool, pink, wink we linked to the same site - diff pages grin

pinkteddy Sun 20-Jul-08 23:39:18

Yes great minds and all that... grin

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 09:48:21

I would assume they mean 2.5 or 4 days better because 2.5 days could be a job share, and possibly a f/t job could be reduced to 4 days.

Is 4 days an option and do you think you could do your existing job in 4 days?
workingfamilies website is good, there's an online guide to flexible working and some really good factsheets, lots of helpful information about different options and how to make a case.

Christiansmum Mon 21-Jul-08 21:25:57

Wow, Thanks for all this advice!
I'll look on the pages you've suggested. I feel there is something fishy going on myself and feel thouroughly unwanted! I manage 2 day services for people with learning disabilities which are 7 miles appart so it would be difficult to do p/t i know but not impossible with a job share. Yes flowerybeanbag that is the reason HR advised me on the 2.5 or 4 days. I would prefere 2.5 days as i feel 4 days would mean i may as well do full time. My thinking is that i may ask for 2.5 and perhaps negociate up if i have to. I had planned to take a year off but am now thinking of going back in Sept after 10 months. I have been told last week by my manager that my post and my level throughout the county is being reorganised which was news to me as it was reorganised only 2.5 years ago and i had to interview for my own post then. He tells me that other options are p/t temp because of this reorganisation and i could get 6 months out of them. They are on the same level but in different parts of the county and not where i have worked for the last 14 years! If i want my job back it has to be full time and will then have to interview for own post in few months. Having discussed this with Union they say they have not heard about the reorganisation! Don't know whats going on. I intent to e mail my managers manager but need to fill in a flexible working application so any advice would be great.
thanks

gigglewitch Mon 21-Jul-08 21:34:23

ooooh,CM, that is almost exactly the same job as me shock...

Christiansmum Mon 21-Jul-08 22:23:03

Really? What a coincidence. I'm in the North West as well!!!!

gigglewitch Mon 21-Jul-08 22:35:00

<<stalkerish>>
will have to compare notes wink

llareggub Mon 21-Jul-08 22:48:10

Perhaps you could jobshare?!

Christiansmum Mon 21-Jul-08 22:50:16

Great idea! problem solved. I'll restart my flexible working application with that in mind!

gigglewitch Mon 21-Jul-08 23:48:16

grin

you should come and work for our lot instead, very family friendly wink - not saying who on here...

Christiansmum Tue 22-Jul-08 23:04:48

You'll have to let me know who your lot are in case this all goes pear shaped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now