Talk

Advanced search

Preparing for nursery...

(2 Posts)
HensMum Tue 15-Jul-08 15:00:26

I'm going back to work at the end of Oct by which time my son will be a year old.
He'll be going to nursery 3 or 4 days a week (depending on if I can wangle part time work) from 8.30am-5.30pm. The plan is that I go back to work, my partner takes 2 weeks off and is at home with DS, during which time we do the transition into nursery - the idea being that I'm not going back to work, plus DS starting nursery on the same day which would just be too much stress! We're hoping to do the transition into nursery during those 2 weeks, but are not sure yet what plans the nursery has for this kind of thing.
In the meantime, is there anything I can do to make it easier on DS? My worry is that he's going to go from being at home with me full time to being in nursery pretty much full time fairly suddenly. At the moment, he has the vast majority of his naps in his cot and I give him most of his meals. My mum's offered to have him for a couple of days to get him used to being somewhere else, having his naps in a strange place, someone else feeding him etc. Is this a good idea? I've been taking him to as many social activities as I can to get him used to other children but we still do lots of things at home.
Or am I just worrying over nothing?!

cmotdibbler Tue 15-Jul-08 19:51:33

If you can, I'd do the settling in days before you go back to work - then you'll know that he'll be fine when you do. So maybe 3 weeks before, you go in together and stay with him for an hour, then he does half a day with them on his own, and then the week before you go back he does a full day or two (and you get to practice getting up, dressed and out of the door on time for work). Otherwise you'll be worrying about him when you need to be trying to get back into the swing of things.

Nurserys are well used to settling children in, but it might be a good idea to try and transition him to the food times they have. Both baby rooms that Ds was in, they all slept in their own cots - it was only at 18 months that they napped on mats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now