Talk

Advanced search

OMG - back to work. Applying for a job in fundraising - any tips/suggestions? What does my cv need?

(9 Posts)
RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 17:35:23

My background is marketing and I have been out of workforce for a few years! Lots of qualifications and voluntary work to keep busy, but I want to apply for a real life job!

I have done fundraising for schools, but only on PTA.

What sort of thing would an employer look for?

Any advice very gratefully received. Thanks

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 17:44:01

How does one say that one has computer skills these days?

beansprout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:45:02

What sort of fundraising? smile

PeaMcLean Wed 09-Jul-08 17:46:17

Fundraising is just marketing and sales by another name.

What sort of job?

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 18:35:30

Tis fundraising for an organisation that helps with advice and info for people with asthma. All legit with referrals from NHS.

Partly fundraising/partly promotional and publicity.

Have been updating cv, looks cracking until 2005 and third child!

PeaMcLean Wed 09-Jul-08 18:45:23

Voluntary work whilst off with children always looks good. Don't worry about not having done fundraising before. It's really not rocket science. Same skills as you'll have covered elsewhere if you've got a marketing background. Will you be working on public appeals? Like getting individuals to give cash out of their own pockets? Or is it businesses?

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 18:49:00

I would guess some grants (?) as it has definite links with NHS and mentions help to secure funding. Otherwise the limited examples I can find relate to dosh from public. Cannot see any reasons not to tap business though - except possibly British Tobacco grin

PeaMcLean Wed 09-Jul-08 20:20:34

If the job desription doesn't say, it could be various sources, which is a good way to start in fundraising. Work on grants is often about research and good writing skills, if you ask me, and donations from the public is all the usual marketing stuff and events.

Any help??? grin

RubyRioja Wed 09-Jul-08 20:34:46

good stuff- thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now