Talk

Advanced search

Hoping to return to work after 6 year break - how difficult will it be?

(7 Posts)
mumoftwinz Tue 01-Jul-08 13:49:31

Hello,

I stopped work when I moved cities just as I found out i was pregnant with twins. They are due to start school this summer and i am hoping to return to work next year. I will have been off work a very long time. Meanwhile I am project managing a self build (so far not that sucessfully!!) and as i want to career change too have started an Msc (only completed 1 part of 6 so far). So I guess Im wondering how easy it will be to get a job (wont have completed the Msc by then but may have a diploma). Will the 6 year break and being a mum make me unemployable?

Julezboo Thu 03-Jul-08 18:46:06

I struggled tbh mot!

I started applying about 3 months ago. I have made my way back in through the temping route! As much as I didnt want to do it. A Friend of mine put me forward for a 4 week temp posisition in Admin and Ive just been offered a Group PA full time position

7 Years I was out of work and if Im honest Im enjoying it better than being at home at the minute, the extra money is a good bonus though

justtheone Wed 09-Jul-08 19:52:55

I've been a SAHM for 7 years and deeply regret not using the time more productively, so congratulations on starting the MSc. I started to look for a job in the last few months and have found it nearly impossible to be considered for anything because of the large gap on my CV. My ex-boss said that an important thing was to show that you have kept your skills updated, even if that just means reading particular publications or doing short courses. At the moment the 7 year break is giving me the most problems and not the fact that I have kids.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 09-Jul-08 22:31:05

I am just starting out looking for a job after 5 years at home finding it pretty daunting in all honesty I have no idea where to start.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 09-Jul-08 22:31:13

I am just starting out looking for a job after 5 years at home finding it pretty daunting in all honesty I have no idea where to start.

LittleWeePickle Thu 11-Sep-08 18:39:50

I am out of work too - I was a graphic designer, and found it pretty hard getting work before DS, and was stuck in contract jobs. The last job I applied for (I have only seen 2 in the past year!) I was told I would not be considered as I haven't worked for a year. sad

I'm thinking about retraining - HR seems quite woman orientated - so does this mean it's more likely to have part time positions? More likely to consider a returner after maternity? I'd hate to retrain at age 40 then find I can't get a job.

Any thoughts?

LittleWeePickle Thu 11-Sep-08 18:41:45

I'm hoping for some guidance from FloweryBeanBag - a wise person if ever there was one! Am I being cheeky? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now