Talk

Advanced search

Should I change my job on return from maternity? Big dilema on job offer

(16 Posts)
twinkleymum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:09:48

I've just negociated going back to work 3 days per week in September and sorted nursery place there. I didn't really want to do full days, but no choice, also didn't really like my job before. I've only been there for 2 years (10 months of it on maternity leave).

The thing is I've been offered a job somewhere else, who say hours are negociable and they'd consider part-days. My name was already on the nursery list there as my DH works there but I haven't been offered a place yet. I don't know what to do. Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of learning a new job, going for interview, sorting childcare etc, but as I said I don't really like my current job, and when I go back will need re-training as I wasn't there v.long before maternity leave. It will not be easy for me to get the same job offer again later on, as now part-time. My current employer will be annoyed, I'm sure. Not sure if I'd have to pay back maternity pay as it is still NHS, does anyone know?

Is it better the devil you know?

BBBee Sat 14-Jun-08 10:11:46

you will have to pay back maternity cover i think.

I think you have to return for a minimum of three months - but this was a while back.

twinkleymum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:18:48

Thats what I thought. I wasn't sure though because I was entitled to full maternity pay as I'd worked for NHS for 10 years, even though only been in new job for just over a year when I went off. If the entitlement is transferable that way I wondered if it is transferable if I move on afterwards as I would still be working for the NHS??

I don't know but that aside, what do you think? Would you consider a move at this point? Not sure if I have the nerve these days, but I might like it there hmm

lou031205 Sat 14-Jun-08 10:21:03

WRT maternity pay, the terms at my Trust clearly stated a return to "...an NHS employer"

twinkleymum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:23:50

Interesting.... I must admit I haven't dug out the paperwork yet.

vitomum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:26:19

could you use the nursery place that you have already secured until one at the new location becomes available?

twinkleymum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:35:24

I'm not sure, but I would think not as there are lots of people on the waiting list. I have been on the waiting list at the other place for about 9 months but haven't enquired about it as I was hoping to get in where I am currently. I was going to phone them next week to take my name off the list but now this has come up I'm glad I didn't. I'll phone them next week to see what my chances are.

I feel really guilty about considering this as my current managers have been very good to me, but it still doesn't change the fact that I don't like working there. Both nurseries are good.

LIZS Sat 14-Jun-08 10:42:31

It depends on what you have been paid over and above smp(which is not reclaimable) and the actual written condition applied to any extra. If it is the same PCT you may be ok.tbh

If you haven't worked since the baby the familiarity of surroundings and role may be an easier transition. You may find the other less flexible than your present and that fewer whole days are more manageable as it means you can plan what you do for your days off rather than just having limited time on some days to do chores.

BBBee Sat 14-Jun-08 10:52:06

with all other things aside i would go for the new job - one life and all that.

twinkleymum Sat 14-Jun-08 10:54:20

That's something to think about, but I never get chores done as DD is v.high needs baby. DH works shifts and he helps me out a lot with this. The thing is, I loved my previous job and the people I worked with and I really miss that. I haven't got that where I am now. We moved here for my DH's job.

vitomum Sat 14-Jun-08 11:02:00

don't base you decision on any sense of guilt / loyalty to your current mamanger. IME poeple often settle back into work quicker than they thought so it may be best to base your decision on what's best for the mid - longer term.

twinkleymum Mon 16-Jun-08 13:32:21

I checked my maternity letter and it says I have to return for 3 months to the trust or an NHS employer, so surely that means its OK. Still cant decide what to do.

MilkyChopsKid Mon 16-Jun-08 19:00:03

You could write down the advantages and disadvantages of each job and see if that clarifies things. If there are things you are uncertain about with the new job then ask to meet the manager. Once a manager wants to employ you you are in a strong position to 'interview' them to see if you are happy with the post.

If it was me I'd take the new job, I find getting a new job a confidence boost and a change of problems/politics is always refreshing! If you find the thought of changing jobs daunting then it is probably only worth it for the part-days.

twinkleymum Tue 17-Jun-08 13:46:19

Thank you Milkychopskid, I met the manager today and she seems very nice. I also spoke with one of her employees who has the same job and also recently moved from somewhere else, she was very positive about the place. I do think changing jobs would be daunting but I also feel this way about going back to my old one where they will have very high expectations. They claim staff morale is very high even though they have other problems, in my current job I don't think staff morale is high at all. I suppose whatever I do there will be problems/politics I'm hoping that by being part time I will not get so involved in that anymore.

fizzybellasmum Wed 13-Aug-08 16:16:56

I can appreciate the dilemma. I work for the NHS too and although I enjoy my job, the people I work with are great etc. I could do with more hours and I have an interview at the hospital where my husband works next week. My daughter is at nursery there. Originally I applied because he is applying for a job somewhere else and I thought we needed for one of us to work there to keep DD at nursery. The job I've applied for sounds great and I know it would be easier logistically to arrange, now I have a big fat spanner in the works as I've just found out I'm pregnant with no 2. Hopefully, as it is NHS this means that it shouldn't affect my benefits even though it is a different trust.
I think you preobably have to go with your gut feelings on the long term prospects, where you'll feel happier. Going back to work can be hard after maternity leave anyway, if you think the hours are better with the new job, maybe it's worth a clean break.

Greatfun Wed 13-Aug-08 20:48:45

My friend had to pay back her mat leave and she is a nurse for the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now