Talk

Advanced search

How much can someone working in accountancy...

(11 Posts)
hercules1 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:04:23

......hope to earn with a maths degree but no experience of accountancy and aged late 30's in London - outer and inner? Person will want to work towards exams in accountancy.

poppy34 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:07:53

what kind of exams hercules ? where were you thinking of working - in business or an accountnacy practice?

poppy34 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:07:55

what kind of exams hercules ? where were you thinking of working - in business or an accountnacy practice?

hercules1 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:10:15

Not me. It's for dh. He is 38 and still trying to decide what to do with his career! It would be ideally something he could also have the option in the future for working from home as I work long hours and need him to be fairly flexible.

poppy34 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:16:32

well depends on whether you go to a smaller or bigger firm (bigger ones tending to be in central london). Looking at jobs that require or are based around getting one of hte main post grad qualifications (CIMA ACCA or ACA) you're looking at anything from 17k to 30k but the higher end of that range probably is if you're in central london and nearing the end of your 3 year training period.

What I would say is that working from home might be difficult if you're training (I am talking abotu working in accountancy practice rather than a business) as you tend to be expected to be in the office to learn and to attend courses when you are training. I haven't so much experience of what its like in business but would imagine its simliar when you're learning but here is hoping someone else might add their view.

hercules1 Wed 04-Jun-08 20:18:05

Thanks a lot. I have to put los to bed now but back tomorrow smile

lizziemun Wed 04-Jun-08 21:05:14

I think he would find little flexabilty in an accounting job as you tend to be working to strict deadlines.

What about him becoming a book keeper and doing the books for various small companies. I'm thinking of doing this course www.tdlc.co.uk/index.htm.

fitnfortyone Mon 14-Jul-08 15:15:39

Have a look on some of the websites like Michael Page, Reed Accountancy etc, they usually give an estimate of current salaries. Then you could also review some of the jobs actually available to see how they match your DH's experience.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 14-Jul-08 15:26:49

tbh I think he'd struggle to find much on offer at all, especially if he is looking for the company to sponsor his training by paying for courses and allowing time off, but if he was lucky I would think around £25k.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:35:06

I paid about £27k for a grad having already sat first lot of ACCA exams in central London (Maths degree isn;t relevant, any degree would do). About £20-£25k for someone who hasn;t started any exams yet. That includes us paying for the exams which cost several thousand pounds.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 15:36:10

Is he still looking - I notice that this thread was orignially begun June???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now